How do you like to burn in shoulder season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Wisco Shepherd

Feeling the Heat
Oct 25, 2023
Cady, WI
How do you guys like to handle things when its T shirt weather at 3pm but hoodies and vests when the sun goes down? I've been doing a small load in the evening and riding that to the next day but I know some folks like to do a fire to take off the morning chill. I am up and out quick in the mornings so I tend to like an evening chill chaser to go with my dinner and a potential whiskey.

Reactions: BillBurns
I let the heat pump make that decision until temps get colder, especially if the morning is going to be sunny. Once temps drop down to the low 40s I may do a smaller 4-5 split fire and if necessary, feed it a couple of splits at a time.

Most of the time I think ahead and look at the next morning forecast then have an evening fire if needed. I don’t like to wake up cold and usually this time of year it’ll be warm enough during the day to hold off another fire til the evening.

Mini split here.
With a basement stove small fires don't make a lot of sense.for me; takes too much to heat up the basement before heat gets upstairs.

So I only burn if it's below 40-45 for 24 hrs or more. The mini split can easily handle down to far lower temps anyway.

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd
Im a morning fire kinda person. It helps wake me up, and takes the chill off. Been too warm for a fire yet here, but I burn a semi big fire, let it die down a little, the feed it as needed.

Mini split does the job until below 50*f, then fires in evening. We will do a fire in the insert in the evening if we are going to hanging out in the living room for the night.

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd
Mini split here.
With a basement stove small fires don't make a lot of sense.for me; takes too much to heat up the basement before heat gets upstairs.

So I only burn if it's below 40-45 for 24 hrs or more. The mini split can easily handle down to far lower temps anyway.
We have a mini split too, as well as in floor radiant heating running off propane. I have wondered in the past about which is more efficient................ but neither are as good as wood.