How do you clean the cat on the Woodstock PH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

georgepds

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2012
I bring it outdoors , tap it on a fencepost, then clean with a soft paint brush. Most, but not all, channels come clean

I wonder if there is a good vacuum or air jet that does better

Recommendations?

I let it cool it and vacuum with an small brush attachment. Twice a year I do a vinegar rinse.

I never understood how brushing could clean it properly.

I used to blow it out just with my breath, but have found out that the ShopVac does it better. I vacuum it out once each month and that seems to keep it clean and working fine. DO NOT use a air pressure device to blow out the catalytic combustor. This will ruin it!

I was having the same problem. I turn the air pressure just about as low it could go, By me blowing it was stronger the then what I set the air pressure at. Woe did a lot of dust came out

Just checked mine, it was nearly completely clogged. That explains why it has been hard to get going after engaging the cat.
Glad I have a spare cat in these temps!

Just checked mine, it was nearly completely clogged. That explains why it has been hard to get going after engaging the cat.
Glad I have a spare cat in these temps!
My stove is my sole source of heat right now...spare cat and gasket material on hand ...just in case...;)

re spare cat..

I called Woodstock and they told me that the cat is due for replacement at ~ 5 years ( they had a record of when I bought the stove). When I said I'll call back next year the operator offered a discount for early purchase. I bought and will replace it next year.The discount price was ~$120.

Last edited:
I take outside, paint brush the grey dust build up off, put the small shop vac hose on the exhaust port and blow. Vinegar and distilled water once a year unless there is actually black soot on the cat (which means I (my girlfriend) messed up engaging at the wrong time).