Homeowners insurance, Township inspector, and the fire department..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
Thanks to the folks on this site, I am confident that I did a good install-

Now, I went to the township to pull a permit. A wood burning stove is not on the list. No inspection required

AS I WAS ON THE ROOF INSTALLING THE CHIMNEY THE INSPECTOR PULLS UP ACROSS THE STREET.

Hi sir, I have a few questions(me)

Do I need a permit for a woodburning stove?

Nope, it's not on the list

Will you inspect it anyway?

I don't know much about them.

How about the SS Chimney? That's on the list.

I never looked at one before.

Ok, Thanks.

HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE CO.

I am putting in a woodstove. (me)

Do I need an Inspection.

No

I faxed you the spec. sheet for the stove, and exceeded all clearances by at least 3 inches.

Yea, I wondered what that was. (agent)

So all I have to do is verbally inform you that I put in a woodstove?

Yes( agent)

Fire department-

A retired firefighter told me to send a certified letter to both the insurance co. and the township, teling them that I have a woodstove..

He was more heplful that the people that are supposed to enforce the code, and the people that are insuring my home.

A few years ago, I had a registered, insured, classic car in my driveway. Half of the passenger side front tire was on the grass along side my 4 car driveway because I was sanding and filling the body, and the inspector walked into my fully fenced property, and slapped a bright orange 8"x10" ABANDONED VEHICLE sticker in the window, which informed me that I had 24 hrs to move it, or it would be towed at my expense, and impounded.

Priorities are in the wrong place where I live..

Bob

Hi Bob... I'm in northern NJ, in Morris County, but I called my insurance company (Allstate) and they told me my Wood Stove is considered equivalent to a space heater (sic) so they said they didn't need to be "informed" or whatever since there is no regulations on their end for space heaters.... At least I have a record of my conversation! My town was more knowing and they signed me onto the inspection and permit procedures.

P.S. Maybe you could try to convince Maple Shade that your classic car is a moving wood stove (gas fired) or a moving gas "space heater" :)

Jay

Probably like around here Dylan. This county has an ordinance that says if it is not displaying a current registration they can declare it a inoperable or abandoned vehicle and tow it away. Go figure.

They even have a special police unit for it and its own phone number for ratting on your neighbors. Technically they could do it to me even though there are 878 feet of woods in front of my house between it and the road because I have a truck with tags that expired two months ago.

Yep. BB is right. I own several classic trucks, 4 to be exact, and the rule around here is that if they are on public land in any way they must be registered. You don't need to keep insurance on them oddly enough, unless you intend to drive them. But uncle sam wants his $40-60 bucks for something that you already own, over and over again, year after year. If the vehicle is on private property, then nothing is done unless you appear to be running an illegal sales lot or junk yard.

When I lived in Portland I was renting a house off of NW 23rd ave. Think ritzy, wealthy, scarsdale, georgetown type atmosphere. At that time I had 2 of my Scouts. Had to keep them registered and also had to move them every 24 hours because you're not allowed to sit for longer than that. It was a real pain. I constantly got those abandoned vehicle tags on my trucks. Basically neighbors calling in because they feel your vehicles are an eyesore. I finally posted a letter in each vehicle stating that THIS IS NOT AN ABANDONED VEHICLE and included an explanation of the law as well as my phone number. The abandoned vehicle stickers finally stopped... after I moved to a different part of the city.

-Kevin

Dylan said:
WrenchMan, it's not Uncle Sam who wants THAT tax revenue; it's the county or municipality, and you're not gonna come closer to having control over the spending your tax revenue than you are with your local government.

Yes, I am aware of who specifically is collecting and allocating the fees paid on registration... I was using "Uncle Sam" as a general, blanket term.... kind of like "The Man".

-Kevin

Sorry for the delay, had family in yesterday.

Dylan,

My car was parked on MY driveway with one tire on the grass inside My fully fenced property. The "TOWN BALLBUSTER" lived across the street at the time, not the inspector, just a miserable old man that complained about everything and everybody- yet his wife was the sweetest you ever met. He used to park in front of MY driveway, blocking me in, and complain that my dogs were barking.He has since moved into a senior living development.. No problems since.. But, my township does have an ordinace that no cars are allowed to be parked on the grass, even on your own property.

Planning Board member here.....our town has that code as well. The reason for the code is an attempt to limit the "junkers" thatsome folks tend to put in their yards.....unregistered yard queens. As for being able to just "remove" that stupid regulation, it isnt really that simple here. All regulations have been voted upon favorably in a town meeting vote...in other words, the supposed majority of voters have decided its a GOOD regulation and they want it. In order to repeal it in our town, someone has to get signatures, 12 in our town, submit it to the Selectmen, who in turn submit it to the planning board, who have a public hearing, then the amended bylaw would go to the town for a vote in the annual town meeting, to be voted upon. My point is, any zoning bylaw is voted upon by the voters...its not the planning board or zoning board....the bylaw is there because a majority of your peers liked it once!

No BS Here.

That inspector eventually lost his job, I did go to a council meeting and complained about his attitude, and in a way I agree with the ordinance- neighbors across the street have a Pickup truck in their driveway, bent frame from an accident, that has since become a storage unit.. but it's not on the grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.