Homemade hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokinbubba

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2019
Central Ohio
Couldent find a stove pad i liked locally so i decided to make my own. I like how it turned out. Going to grout it today and set my trp-22. Have to add, Andy from amfm is awesome. He talked me thru the process like the newbie that i am in a totally professional manner. Ordered tue, and it was here fri! Totally recommend.

Attachments

• Homemade hearth pad
    20191207_221743-1024x768.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 185
Very Nice What do you plan
for the edges? Or are you just going to
finish the frame?

The pad is 1.5" plywood, capped by 1/4" hardybacker, then std floor tile. The 3 visable edges are miter cut 1by oak stained with minwax to hide all the layers and give a finished look. Sucker is HEAVY!

Reactions: tbear853
I made my hearth pad also, it was way cheaper than buying a commercial hearth pad and I got what I wanted.

Nice work. I had thought about doing something similar as the nice looking ones were so expensive.

Im sure the reason for the high cost is r value required for log burners. Since i only need ember protection, this lower cost option was the way to go.

The one my Uncle and I made (he did most of the work) was super heavy too!! Did not anticipate the weight...it was fun to get up out of his basement and into my house!

Good ideas there. I thought about a pad, but things got out of hand.

After we carpeted the floor, I built a "hearth" of sorts. Used slate from a place in Tennessee, cut with abrasive blade in Skill saw …. and the stones on the vertical are man made, stuck (mortared) to a wire mesh over plywood over the wood frame. The flat part with slate is made with 2x6s with 3/4 plywood on top and 1/2" under side with a couple layers of plastic. The two back sides are just 2x4 framed. The bottom frame was built in the basement, the rest done in place … in 1992 when we bought the stove. Exhaust is behind stove through wall, as is OAK.

Floor joist are 2x12 and I doubled a couple planning for this. I hope it all lasts.

Attachments

• Homemade hearth pad
    11 (622x640).jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 154
Reactions: Smokinbubba
Man that pad and stone work is impressive, but more impressive is the fact that you have been burning the same stove since '92!!

Tbear, that is impressive. What stove is that?

Man that pad and stone work is impressive, but more impressive is the fact that you have been burning the same stove since '92!!
Tbear, that is impressive. What stove is that?
Thank You both!
That pad you did looks mighty fine too!

My stove is a Vermont Castings Reliance 2220 ... but I think it was maybe a copy or rebadge of a Harmon Accentra, or vicey versa? I know they sure look alike. I had built our log home in 1990-1991 and had planned to include a fire place, but then I stumbled on a pellet stove in a dealer's store, he wanted to get out of pellet stoves, just do inserts and gas he said. I think I got this stove for about half off retail, just a bit over $2,200 I think it was (or maybe list was $2,200 something and I got it for $1,100? ??? …. I forget now but to think it was listed at $4,400 seems a bit high in 1992). Anyway, I think Vermont Castings got out of pellet stoves all together later on.

It's had one auger motor with gear box and auger bearing replaced and I added a shield of steel between the bearing and auger blades as I looked at the seized bearing, it was grinding, and dry, and the seal melted out. That was in '96. I also replaced a thermo-couple back in the '90s. I'm on my third 3" SS lined pellet flue. It's been good to us. I have another auger motor with gear box new in the box if it happens again, most every thing like fans, etc are Dayton sold by W.W.Grainger.

Last edited: