Holy cheap Eco Bricks Batman!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

I went to TSC Last night and walked in looking for a 18" bar right next to it was a pallet of eco blocks priced at 149.99 for 2100 lbs . Each brick equals 14 lbs of wood which equals 3948 lbs of wood and burns absolutely forever this is amazing I was thinking then when I looked at my wife she was giving me the o crap look haha. ( she can read my mind )They apparently where an open pallet and missing 2 packages BIG WOOP I SAY! I have burned them before as a test and when sick and wouldn't use them as fuel normally because of cost but that was to good to pass up so now I have 2100 lbs of eco blocks in my garage :) The wife is happy because they burn great and I pointed out two damaged packages and got 10% more off :lol: The total came two 135 dollars for the whole pallet.

Attachments

• Holy cheap Eco Bricks Batman!
    IMG_20120118_185207.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,041
Ca-Ching! Good score!

Are those the 3 packs of the big ones? I bought some today for 2.99 a pack, they're huge compared to the ones in the 8 pack.

But do you split them horizontally or vertical? :) TSC around here had a pallet, supposedly equivalent to a cord of wood, for about $300. Sounds like you got better than half price.

<is jealous.

I can't find ANY ecobricks of any size within 50 miles of here. In fact, one TSC told me they got a letter that the company went out of business and another one said that the company was adding on just to supply them. Lol. I *think* we're ok for the year, considering it's been shoulder season on and off all season. It's wreaking havoc on my head (chronic migraines) but it's been a blessing with having just bought the Cottage in the fall and not having been able to CSS our own wood for this year (I did pull a few of the top sticks of box elder we had CSS'd last summer when we were in the process of buying the place to see how they would burn though).

good job on the extra 10%, it always pays to ask.

Your wife should praise you for your bargin shopping! Nice deal. I've never burned one. You should count how many packs you got and break it down to cost per log.

dang! At that price it's not just a no-brainer, it's a flat out steal.

Nice way to deal Pete.

My wife just left TSC with 32 packs and she didn't get a deal anywhere near that. Kudos on the deal.

Don't let Pete fool you, he only wanted the pallet! :). Good job Pete, never burned them but from what everybody has said you got a good deal.

Weatherguy yes they are the three packs and they are huge.

Bpirger I karate chop them with a pallet slat horizantal inverted :lol:

Eclecticcotage sorry about the migraines they are no fun it is good to hear you have enouph fire wood for the winter!

Mecreture I agree totally and am a big time haggler it s amazing what a wad of cash will do when waived just right :)

Basswidow I broke it down for you I think it's about 47 cents per log.

Thanks Dennis they where worth it for sure.

Thanks wkpoor!

Wishlist I acctually thought about what I am going to do with that pallet before we bought it I am thinking maybe a hotel or table :lol:

Thanks
Pete

Pete1983 said:
Eclecticcotage sorry about the migraines they are no fun it is good to hear you have enouph fire wood for the winter!

Wishlist I acctually thought about what I am going to do with that pallet before we bought it I am thinking maybe a hotel or table :lol:

Thanks
Pete

Thanks-no kidding. :p

I vote pallet shed: http://summerville-novascotia.com/PalletShed/

I wonder if the one near me will price-match?

right next to it was a pallet of eco blocks priced at 149.99 for 2100 lbs . Each brick equals 14 lbs of wood which equals 3948 lbs of wood

I have trouble understanding where 2100 lbs. equals 3948 lbs of wood. These ARE wood, right? Humongous versions of pellets? I don't see how one ton of these equals two tons of wood.

Ken

Ken45 said:
right next to it was a pallet of eco blocks priced at 149.99 for 2100 lbs . Each brick equals 14 lbs of wood which equals 3948 lbs of wood

I have trouble understanding where 2100 lbs. equals 3948 lbs of wood. These ARE wood, right? Humongous versions of pellets? I don't see how one ton of these equals two tons of wood.

Ken

Yup, highly compressed very dry wood. I think they are referring to the BTUs, not actual weight.

Pete1983 said:
No kidding this is the first pallet shed I built lol https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/85028/ .

Next on the list is a flu blown building of some kind maybe a full garage :lol:

Pete

Sweet! I'm wanting to build one this summer, but enclosed like an actual shed, for tractor storage, etc.

bluedogz said:
I wonder if the one near me will price-match?

I called mine. They don't have them :(

Yup, highly compressed very dry wood. I think they are referring to the BTUs, not actual weight.

Why should the BTUs/pound be any higher than wood?

They are wood. BTU/pound of wood is consistent across wood species. I would expect compressed sawdust to still be the same BTU/pound even though they may be more pounds per cubic foot.

Ken

Ken45 said:

They are wood. BTU/pound of wood is consistent across wood species. I would expect compressed sawdust to still be the same BTU/pound even though they may be more pounds per cubic foot.

Ken

Kent I do not understand all the science behind them but I can say for sure they burn much longer and hotter than normal wood. I loaded my stove with them at 6:15 last night and just got up to reload and the stove was 360 degrees and still burning at 5:30 this morning. Now we are playing with mixed loads and one block with a load of wood makes the stove go for a very long time.

Pete

47 cents a log... WOW Great deal.

Pete1983 said:
Ken45 said:

Ken

Kent I do not understand all the science behind them but I can say for sure they burn much longer and hotter than normal wood. I loaded my stove with them at 6:15 last night and just got up to reload and the stove was 360 degrees and still burning at 5:30 this morning. Now we are playing with mixed loads and one block with a load of wood makes the stove go for a very long time.

Pete

Holy crap

They are supposedly DENSER then cord wood...but I agree the weight must be heavier for the eco block compared to a comparable piece of cord wood..you would think.

HotCoals said:
They are supposedly DENSER then cord wood...but I agree the weight must be heavier for the eco block compared to a comparable piece of cord wood..you would think.

Oh I don't doubt that they are more dense than cord wood, and more BTUs per cubic foot. But more BTUs per ton? That I have trouble believing.

Good seasoned cord wood (e.g. oak, hard maple) weighs around 1-3/4 ton per cord or about 70% more weight (and BTUs?) than a pallet of eco bricks, priced at about the same (cord of wood or pallet of eco blocks.

Ken

Ken45 said:
HotCoals said:

Oh I don't doubt that they are more dense than cord wood, and more BTUs per cubic foot. But more BTUs per ton? That I have trouble believing.

Good seasoned cord wood (e.g. oak, hard maple) weighs around 1-3/4 ton per cord or about 70% more weight (and BTUs?) than a pallet of eco bricks, priced at about the same (cord of wood or pallet of eco blocks.

Ken
I know what you're sayin'.
I have also questioned their marking statements in my head. IE: One skid of eco bricks = one cord.
Overall nice product for various reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.