Help with rust in/on wood stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
Looking for some experience in how to deal with this issue. I have a vermont castings wood stove insert. last year I made a huge mistake to purchase an insulating cover to put over the stove when not in use to deal with drafts. of course we had a very mild winter and months later when I went to use the stove, it was rusted in lots of spots pretty bad. could barely open and close the flue, doors, etc.. It appears that all the blanket did was trap moisture and it did a lot of damage in a very short period of time. I need to try and fix this before the upcoming winter and can't seem to find help for this. Nobody is interested unless they can replace the stove.

Are there any suggestions to help with the rust? Some spots can't be reached with wire brushes. Is there a grease that can be used to help get things moving again that can handle the temps of the stove?

Appreciate in advance anyone with experience as I'm trying to save the stove.

Which insert do you have? Please see if you can post some pictures so we can get an idea of the extent of the rust damage.

Model 2080. Here are some pictures. The top arm that opens the flue is seized. I can't move it at all. Really afraid that the stove is no good anymore.
[Hearth.com] Help with rust in/on wood stove insert

Model 2080. Here are some pictures. The top arm that opens the flue is seized. I can't move it at all. Really afraid that the stove is no good anymore.
View attachment 329961View attachment 329962View attachment 329963

number 1.. we cover the cap outside when not in use.. this stops any rain getting down and slows the humidity creeping in

number 2 Id take the stove apart and clean it up.. its not hard and probably should only take a weekend.

my cap is still covered and I won't take it off until it starts getting cooler and the dew point drops

Any suggestions on what to use to spray inside to where the handle/lever opens the flue? I need something to work on the rust that is non flammable. I can't get a brush in there.

Any suggestions on what to use to spray inside to where the handle/lever opens the flue? I need something to work on the rust that is non flammable. I can't get a brush in there.

Its best to take the stove apart.. this is why I suggested that. Me personally I wouldn't be spraying anything in my stove. Take it apart.. get the damper housing out and clean it up with a wire brush/wheel and put it back together.

You don't need to take the entire stove apart just the top and get the housing out.. cleanup all the parts while you have the access.. put it back together.. dont dawg it.. just get used to the idea of doing it.. then do it.. just have extra bolts and nuts for easy reassembly..

I did a how to thread last year and posted pics of my rebuild.. my stove is a little different but you get the idea.. your maintenance manual should help also

Reactions: bigealta