Help Finding a Stove that Will Fit an Odd Old Hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

river_walking

Sep 18, 2024
Idaho
Hello -- new to the forums. I am interested in finding a wood insert to put in an odd hearth in my 1937 Idaho home. The fireplace itself doesn't get used much due to inefficiency and drafting issues....

My wife likes the idea of getting a Blaze King, but I'm unsure what model would fit in this space. I've attached a photo with rough rough estimates (give or take an inch or two -- a renter measured for me and I'm not certain where he was measuring to specifically). I'm personally fond of all of the Jotuls I've known, but I don't believe they're making inserts any longer...

Assuming we could fit an Ashford 25, which needs 19" of depth in the firebox, would I have enough room in front for the door to open without hitting the wrought iron mantle support? How should I be thinking about hearth clearances in a corner like this? Either way, I'm guessing we will need to have a custom shroud made given the high opening.

Thanks in advance for all your advice,

-M

[Hearth.com] Help Finding a Stove that Will Fit an Odd Old Hearth?

It is an odd one for sure. Is this a prefab, zero-clearnance fireplace or a full masonry unit with a brick chimney? What is in the black area above the top edge of the screen?

Thanks, that helps. Nice looking pup!

What is in the black area above the top edge of the screen? Is it just empty space? Is the fireplace lintel at 36"?

In order to see if a BK insert will fit, we need the full fireplace interior dimensions including H, W, & D, front and also in the back of the fireplace.

Thanks! And yeah, the black area above the screen is just more open space. The lintel is at 36" and the interior dimensions are roughly 36"H x 34.5"W x 17"D. I'm fairly certain the current renter that measured for me went to the inside edge of where the brick is painted white for all the dimensions, so I believe we could get to ~ 19" deep if we went to the outside of the brick next to the edges of the screen.

[Hearth.com] Help Finding a Stove that Will Fit an Odd Old Hearth?

Would you have 16" in front of the full with of the insert (with this triangular hearth)?
If not, you may have to add ember protection on the wood floor.

Would the renter be using it?

My point is that is it >16" at the corners of the insert?
I believe the clearance requirements ask for 16" over the full width of the insert.

Good; a BK does like to be treated properly, so not having a renter who is potentially less interested run it would be something I would prefer..

I'm assuming that there may be some basic ember protection at the floor level to square off the triangular hearth extension to 16" in front of the stove face. If it is required, is that ok? This could be as simple as sheet metal.

Thats a good question. I'm not sure if we would have 16" or not at the corner. That measurement comes from the edge of the stove itself, not the surround, correct? Is it 16" in all directions or just straight forward from the stove? Either way, adding some tile or something like that at the floor level isn't out of the question!

This will depend on the insert choice. Some are flush and others project further out onto the hearth. In general terms flush inserts depend more on the blower to get the heat out compared to those that extend out onto the hearth a bit. Compare the BK Princess insert to the BK Sirocco insert to see the difference. If power outages are common, then I recommend not getting a flush insert.

Thats a good question. I'm not sure if we would have 16" or not at the corner. That measurement comes from the edge of the stove itself, not the surround, correct? Is it 16" in all directions or just straight forward from the stove? Either way, adding some tile or something like that at the floor level isn't out of the question!
It's straight forward from the plane of the door.

Reactions: river_walking
As for shrouds, often a flat piece of metal, painted black to match shroud, is all that is needed. To minimize or share the added space above the firebox, the firebox is elevated, space permitting, and an equal size piece of metal goes across the bottom. The firebox, again space permitting, rests on brick spead out across the current fireplace floor.

BKVP

Reactions: river_walking
I don’t like that mantel. I would see about removing it and the supports. Then it’s just making sure your floor protection meets requirements for the chosen insert.

My likes aside. Do you have the space for a rear vented side loading stove like maybe a Woodstock? Check out what they offer and see if they fit.