Heat Commander - Weld spots in firebox causing bricks to break?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

sleewok

Jan 27, 2021
USA
Hey everyone, I recently did a deep clean of my Drolet Heat Commander. I pulled all the bricks out and repaired several that were cracked. As I was getting ready to reinstall them in the firebox I noticed that there are several weld spots that are raised up maybe 1/8" to 1/4" (see photo). They do not allow the bricks to lay flat against the bottom. I wonder if this will cause bricks to break since there is a very small point of pressure. Should I grind down the weld spots? Or should I put down a layer of ash on the bottom? Or just not worry about it? Thoughts?

[Hearth.com] Heat Commander - Weld spots in firebox causing bricks to break?

Update: After some research I decided to use sand as a base for the brick. It worked out really well. I also packed the gaps between the bricks with sand. The bricks are now tight against the walls of the firebox and I was able to fill the larger gaps in the front. Considering that sand will hold the heat I imagine I will get even better performance than previous years.

Reactions: salecker
It’s super easy to grind out little reliefs in the firebricks.