Hearthstone Shelburne 8371 ash door bracket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vansmooch

Dec 12, 2020
California
Hi, I have never been able to open my ash door properly. Today I looked into it and it looks like one of the ash door brackets could be built wrong. Can someone tell me if my left ash door bracket has the latch part of the bracket built with the correct part? My right side ash door bracket has the long side of the latch pointing up, but on the left side, the long part of the latch is pointed down. It seems like this part of the ash door bracket is the exact part as my right side one, just attached upside-down.

It is the left side that seems to hang up, so I have to force the ash door open and closed.
First picture is the left side (part wrong?) and second picture is the right side (works smoothly)

Hearthstone Shelburne 8371 ash door bracketHearthstone Shelburne 8371 ash door bracket

This is for the Hearthstone Shelburne 8371 wood stove

Hearthstone Shelburne 8371 ash door bracket
Here is my Hearthstone Shelburne stove where i have questions about the ash door brackets. I ripped out my fireplace insert and installed the woodstove in the alcove. I could not get any contractor to take on the project so did the whole design and construction, minus the stove and pipe install myself, all to code. Proud of this as most men said it couldn't be done until after they saw i woman did it, ha! Can someone who owns or has access to a Shelburne stove take a picture of the left ash door bracket so i can see if mine has been i stalled correctly?

Reactions: avsmusic1
Not sure if this is helpful, but I found this. It looks like you're looking at part 21 and 22?

Attachments

• Shelburne I 8371 Illustrated Parts List.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 142
Is there a nearby showroom you can visit to see how the display model operates? From what I have read, it seems Hearthstone tends to have troubles with smooth operation and longevity of latches and hinges.

I was considering having to do that. I’m rural so just have to do it when i’m in a city i guess.

Is there an adjustment of any kind? I dont thing there is on yours and you have to be careful when adjusting because it needs to seal tight to prevent over-fire. It might be worth a phone call to a showroom and ask to speak with someone knowledgeable.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice. I dont think its over-firing, but good point to motivate me to follow up in a showroom without putting it off!