Hearthstone Phoenix Small Crack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Unfortunately this is normal for a Hearthstone. I don’t think it’s a safety concern, or may leak some air in is all. Keep a close eye on the other stones, when they crack it will allow air into the firebox which can make it hard to control.

Thank you very much. I don't think any air is getting in as I am having a hard time getting the stove up to 400 degrees. The seasoned wood I bought isn't so seasoned. Hovers right about at 300 with draft full open. If I open the Ash door it roars but with normal operation it stays about 300. I'll get some seasoned wood and I think it will burn properly.

Thank you very much. I don't think any air is getting in as I am having a hard time getting the stove up to 400 degrees. The seasoned wood I bought isn't so seasoned. Hovers right about at 300 with draft full open. If I open the Ash door it roars but with normal operation it stays about 300. I'll get some seasoned wood and I think it will burn properly.
Seasoned wood will certainly make a big difference. Don’t get into the habit of using the Ashpan door for air. You’d be better to leave the front door cracked for a little bit. Just don’t forget about it.

Hovers right about at 300 with draft full open. If I open the Ash door it roars
You normally get more heat after the stove is up to temp with the air cut to 1/4 or less, when the fire gets lazy and the secondary burn occurs in the top of the box near the burn tubes. But depending how wet the wood is, this may not work as well as it should.
Don't use the ash door, it creates a "forge" down there and may crack cast iron parts in the bottom of your stove.

Reactions: Highbeam
You normally get more heat after the stove is up to temp with the air cut to 1/4 or less, when the fire gets lazy and the secondary burn occurs in the top of the box near the burn tubes. But depending how wet the wood is, this may not work as well as it should.
Don't use the ash door, it creates a "forge" down there and may crack cast iron parts in the bottom of your stove.

Thanks for the tip!

I'll give it a shot and I won't use the ash door!

I had a Phoenix for 10 years. Didn't know till I sold it (moved it from alcove) that some of the stones looked to have hairline cracks. No issues with operation at all. Not sure if they went all the way through even.

That ashpan door is a problem. Latch it and keep it latched. Heck, even seal it shut. People aren't kidding about the forge effect.

I had a Phoenix for 10 years. Didn't know till I sold it (moved it from alcove) that some of the stones looked to have hairline cracks. No issues with operation at all. Not sure if they went all the way through even.

That ashpan door is a problem. Latch it and keep it latched. Heck, even seal it shut. People aren't kidding about the forge effect.

Good to know! Thanks!

The only stove where cracks are not only inevitable but acceptable...