Hearthstone Information - New buyer beware.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavefromColorado

Jan 1, 2017
Woodland Park, Co.
If you buy a Hearthstone...hopefully you dont have any issues. Shortly after I purchase and installed mine in the summer of 2015 the stove door spring snapped. I contacted my dealer, Big Horn Stove and Spa in Pueblo Colorado and he told me he would order me a new spring, but to not hold my breath as they were very slow at best. When June of 2016 came around and still no spring I contacted Heartstone who said they had not received an order from my dearler. They advised they were very sorry and would get one out to me immediately.

When September came around and I still had no spring I contacted Hearthstone again stating I had not received the spring. I sent him the email history to validate my request. I received no response. I emailed them again in November and they responded that they were told the spring was sent back in September. Okay....guess that was a postal service fail?

He said he would send one out again via Fed Ex...he just needed the serial number agian. I sent it...and nothing! I'm guessing my dealer was correct about the lack of customer care from Hearthstone? Can you share your good/bad experiences with Hearthstone for the sake of new buyers. I would hope my experience is just a matter of repeatedly falling through the cracks!

P.S. and for good measure....hashtag some sort of horrible hearthstone point with every tweet, facebook, instagram, snapchat, G+ message you post LOL

To be honest, it's your dealers fault as much as hearthstone. Hearthstone uses a dealer network, just like most all stove manufacturers. It's up to the dealer to make absolutely sure you are being taken care of. Even if the dealer has to eat the cost of the parts they should get them. Blasting Hearthstone all over the net will do no good.

Hearthstone is very slow with certain parts but only during the fall typically, we usually get parts within a few weeks though. I truly believe your dealer was trying to get the part through warranty rather than just ordering the part and then filing the claim. Either way, he should have got it for you...

Reactions: jotulguy
This is NOT just a Hearthstone issue.
These stove "dealer networks" stink. This is not the only stove manufacturer that has a problem.

For some reason, most stove manufacturers seem to operate under the philosophy that they are not obligated to, nor will consider having any Customer Service at the manufacturer/factory level. This is very unfortunate -- a stove company that actually had a decent CS dept. would get a lot more happy customers.

Factory direct would be an option, but not many operating that way. Woodstock is one I can think of, & they obviously have good CS, as their people/customers are a pretty happy bunch!

This is NOT just a Hearthstone issue.
These stove "dealer networks" stink. This is not the only stove manufacturer that has a problem.

For some reason, most stove manufacturers seem to operate under the philosophy that they are not obligated to, nor will consider having any Customer Service at the manufacturer/factory level. This is very unfortunate -- a stove company that actually had a decent CS dept. would get a lot more happy customers.

Factory direct would be an option, but not many operating that way. Woodstock is one I can think of, & they obviously have good CS, as their people/customers are a pretty happy bunch!
There's nothing wrong with using a dealer network. It's the dealers that aren't holding up there end. That's when the manufacturers need to step in, unfortunately most don't. Woodstock is a very small company, they are able to not only keep up with production and sales but also good customer service. Again, they are a very small operation in comparison to most other manufacturers so it works good for them. There is also a very small percentage of people that want to have a stove delivered to their driveway and install it themselves. Most customers want someone else to bring out and install it as well as service it.

I would argue that Woodstock makes a quality product and their customer complaints are minimized so, they can handle any that come in. I would also argue that they should open another factory on the West Coast.

Stove dealers, when I use to think of stove dealers I would think car dealer just with wood stoves, yes there are a few of those types of dealer scattered around, but the majority of "stove dealers" are guys with a couple pamphlets that have a large shed in there back yards and work out of vans like a contractor.
I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I use to work with a heating and cooling guy that was setup like this, the main problem becomes organization and separation between work and home, again not saying that everyone in this trade is in-organized but sometimes it becomes difficult when you come back home to your shop "home" and the kids wanna play right away or the wife needs the lawn mowed, and you really need to sit down at your desk and do an hours worth of paper work.
To the stove guys that actually have a business front shop, you can probabaly agree that theres a lot of overhead for a short season of steady installs, and in some areas the amount of business does not benefit having the cost of a true shop with rent, utilities, insurance, stock overhead

The required dealership model is obsolete. Get with the times, evolve or die.

If I want to hire skilled labor for installation, maintenance, or repair then I hire that skilled labor. If I want a stove or parts for a stove (materials) then I get online and have it shipped to my house from anywhere in the world at any time of day.

There is zero value added by the "dealer", his storefront, his markup, and his frequent inability to perform.

I had good hearthstone interactions. Not the dealer of course, but the company.

The required dealership model is obsolete. Get with the times, evolve or die.

If I want to hire skilled labor for installation, maintenance, or repair then I hire that skilled labor. If I want a stove or parts for a stove (materials) then I get online and have it shipped to my house from anywhere in the world at any time of day.

There is zero value added by the "dealer", his storefront, his markup, and his frequent inability to perform.

I had good hearthstone interactions. Not the dealer of course, but the company.
You are speaking in way to genaral terms. All dealers are not the same. You are offensive...

Reactions: bholler
You are speaking in way to genaral terms. All dealers are not the same. You are offensive...

I'm sorry I offended you. I wonder why. I can probably guess. Maybe, when you're done crying, you can enlighten us about your opinion?

I'm sorry I offended you. I wonder why. I can probably guess. Maybe, when you're done crying, you can enlighten us about your opinion?
I tend to agree with him there are many very good dealers out there and when someone has a problem with a stove they need a good dealer to make things right.

Like in most businesses, there are excellent dealers and then there are some so so dealers. The excellent dealers provide high value to their customers. I was happy to buy the T6 from a great dealer and there has never been a time when I couldn't call up with a question or parts request and not get good service. Their shop is a real pleasure to visit. I know that if I had a major issue with the stove they would have my back. I've also bought stoves from local chain sales (hot tub and stoves) and had varying degrees of satisfaction from these experiences. In comparison it is pretty obvious when you are dealing with a first rate shop. They generally cost more, but have permanent crews and use top quality components in their installs. Usually they are also dedicated stove shops.

A lot of regulars here are enthusiasts and not the typical customer. A very small portion of people are capable of or have the time to DIY a stove installation, or to sub-contract the process. Many homeowners are not knowledgeable about where to find a skilled installer or to know if the company did skilled work. When having a stove or fireplace installed they want a single point of accountability for the installation and not two different parties blaming each other if something goes wrong. They want a proper safe, insurable installation that is warranted. A good dealer provides that.

Last edited:
You wonder why? You are sorry to offend, apologize and end with more insults.

I'm an installer for a hearthstore that's been in the same location for over 40 years, we offer great service and do it with a smile. We take pride in our work and do our best to please everyone. So ya, what you say is offensive. Its your mentality that has driven all the mom and pop places out of business. People that offer a service to the community, services that are not available online... hopefully some day before it's too late people will wake up and realize that brick and mortar stores are important.

I'm an installer for a hearthstore that's been in the same location for over 40 years, we offer great service and do it with a smile. We take pride in our work and do our best to please everyone. So ya, what you say is offensive. Its your mentality that has driven all the mom and pop places out of business. People that offer a service to the community, services that are not available online... hopefully some day before it's too late people will wake up and realize that brick and mortar stores are important.
When I began shopping for a Hearthstone I stopped by a big city dealer. My first impression was that the sales guy knew nothing. For every question I asked, he had to scurry away to get the answer from his boss. I quickly learned that they were discontinuing the Hearthstone products. The models on the floor were marked down. However, I decided I did not want to buy so much as an ash bucket from that dealer. Then, I located a Hearthstone dealer in a smaller city, further away. I never went to their place of business, but the manager came to my house almost immediately to view the flue, the combustibles around the prospective stove location and the space to be heated. They had a Mansfield on sale. I made the buy. Later, I learned that it was the first soapstone they sold in many years of business. They also carry Jotul. The installation was professional and they promised to install a stack damper later if needed, which they did. Due to construction of a brick hearth, they came back a year later to move the stove, then later move it onto the completed hearth. They also offer chimney sweep services. The moral is that it pays to shop around and to trust your instincts.

When I began shopping for a Hearthstone I stopped by a big city dealer. My first impression was that the sales guy knew nothing. For every question I asked, he had to scurry away to get the answer from his boss. I quickly learned that they were discontinuing the Hearthstone products. The models on the floor were marked down. However, I decided I did not want to buy so much as an ash bucket from that dealer. Then, I located a Hearthstone dealer in a smaller city, further away. I never went to their place of business, but the manager came to my house almost immediately to view the flue, the combustibles around the prospective stove location and the space to be heated. They had a Mansfield on sale. I made the buy. Later, I learned that it was the first soapstone they sold in many years of business. They also carry Jotul. The installation was professional and they promised to install a stack damper later if needed, which they did. Due to construction of a brick hearth, they came back a year later to move the stove, then later move it onto the completed hearth. They also offer chimney sweep services. The moral is that it pays to shop around and to trust your instincts.
It is very nice to hear a good story about a pro. On here we generally only hear about the bad ones.

Reactions: webby3650

Services are important. We all love and most expect great service from our chosen provider. We all pay for the great service because we want it. Free market.

People have woken up and realized that the brick and mortar stores must add value or they are not important. It speaks volumes when consumers must be forced to purchase parts from a manufacturer through a dealer who adds a profit margin for zero consumer benefit.

Still, I realize that change is slow. Manufacturers take time to set up their own sales portals that often take the form of a separate business but without brick and mortar overhead.

Mom and pop don't get a free ride.

I admit to liking to see a product before buying it. Woodstock seems to be doing fine without a forced dealership experience.

Our problems with our hearthstone were taken care of by our dealer. They went above and beyond to make me happy.

My bk dealer not so much. Have had to do most things on my own. He was like a used car salesman. Luckily for me, bk is about as helpful as anyone I have ever encountered.

I see both sides of highbeam and webby- because I have dealt with both types of dealers and storefronts. I would always prefer to buy from a dealer providing the price is competitive and I get something for doing so.

Reactions: Highbeam
I've never had a good experience with anyone who had "dealer" anywhere on a sign in their business- from cars and motorcycles to stoves and appliances to chainsaws and power equipment, it's a way to double the price of stuff while introducing significant hurdles to addressing any problems that arise with the stuff.

I understand that in the bad old days, manufacturers needed a way to get the product from the production floor to the paying customer- but those days are, mercifully, gone for most products. Here's hoping the remaining products go that way as well.

Hey manufacturers: I don't WANT to pay double for the privilege of having a local guy who can tell me to go jump off a bridge if I have an issue. I want to pay once, and if I have a problem, you can FedEx me a part and we'll be good. Thanks!

Hey manufacturers: I don't WANT to pay double for the privilege of having a local guy who can tell me to go jump off a bridge if I have an issue. I want to pay once, and if I have a problem, you can FedEx me a part and we'll be good. Thanks!
What happens if you need that part installed? Not everyone can do it themselves and not everyone wants to do it themselves. I buy from a small local sthil dealer and I know if I have any issues I take it over there and they take care of it. If I tell them I need it the next day they get it done. Now what happens if something goes wrong with your stove in the middle of the heating season? If I sold you the stove you can call me 24/7 and I will be there to get you up and running that night if need be if it is your only source of heat. By the way I do that for stoves I didn't sell also but I am a sweep first and and sell stoves second. And I probably wont have parts for it if it isn't a regency. Now if you bought it online who is going to come out in the middle of the night to get you running again?

What happens if you need that part installed? Not everyone can do it themselves and not everyone wants to do it themselves. I buy from a small local sthil dealer and I know if I have any issues I take it over there and they take care of it. If I tell them I need it the next day they get it done. Now what happens if something goes wrong with your stove in the middle of the heating season? If I sold you the stove you can call me 24/7 and I will be there to get you up and running that night if need be if it is your only source of heat. By the way I do that for stoves I didn't sell also but I am a sweep first and and sell stoves second. And I probably wont have parts for it if it isn't a regency. Now if you bought it online who is going to come out in the middle of the night to get you running again?

If I am unable to fix my car/stove/chainsaw myself, I will pay an expert (maybe you) to do it. Same as I'd do if I bought it from a dealer, but much cheaper and without month of arguing in the middle.

but much cheaper and without month of arguing in the middle.
Why would it be cheaper? Allot of the stuff will be covered under warantee from the dealer but not from me. And again there are allot of really good dealers out there that would not involve arguing.

We have a couple of fantastic dealers locally and then there's a handful of others from decent to zero support and not much knowledge.

Myself as a consumer I like to be able to go and look at things and know who/where I'm buying from. I'm kind of blessed here on the stove side of things having multiple dealers I can look at a lot of different brands of stoves locally. Sometimes if I'm in for parts and stuff I end up taking forever because I'm like a kid in a candy store checking everything out.

I appreciate brick and mortar retailers.

I've never had a good experience with anyone who had "dealer" anywhere on a sign in their business- from cars and motorcycles to stoves and appliances to chainsaws and power equipment, it's a way to double the price of stuff while introducing significant hurdles to addressing any problems that arise with the stuff.

I understand that in the bad old days, manufacturers needed a way to get the product from the production floor to the paying customer- but those days are, mercifully, gone for most products. Here's hoping the remaining products go that way as well.

What you and most people on here tend to forget or Are unaware of is the fact we on here are a tiny tiny portion of wood burners. We are capable of installing our own and servicing our own. We are in the minority, most can't and won't take care of their own stoves. They want this service provided, in its entirety, a one stop shop. They do not have the means or the knowledge to do it themselves.

Sure, you can call a local "guy" to work on your stove. (Sorry bholler, you must be excluded in this) Most chimney guys that I've ever met know almost nothing about the stove, just the chimney system. Many won't even service the stove, they only sweep and maintain chimneys. A reputable dealer will know that stove top to bottom, if they don't they will have a factory rep on the phone in minutes.

Reactions: Squisher
Sorry bholler, you must be excluded in this
no offense taken I know allot more about chimneys than i do stoves. like i said a sweep first I know enough about stoves but a good dealer service guy would know more

Status
Not open for further replies.