Hearthstone Homestead burning too hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Spiffypix

Jan 17, 2020
I dunno
Hoping someone can help me figure out something. We have a Hearthstone Homestead 5870 stove that was installed in 2007. When the air regulator was completely closed in the past, The flame inside the firebox would be almost nonexistent. But lately, the fire doesn’t seem to go down as much as it should. There is definitely air coming into the box from somewhere. I replaced the door gasket and the ash pan gasket. I also replaced the ash pan round grate. But air is still somehow coming in. As a matter of fact, when the regulator is completely closed, I have difficulty keeping the box temp below 500°. And that def can’t be right.

I checked the regulator, and it stays open about 20%, but it is my understanding that it needs to stay somewhat open, due to EPA regs. When I block that opening completely, I still have air getting in. I think the baffle at the top of the stove will need to be replaced soon, but I don’t see any compromised areas. Any suggestions as to where this air could be coming in from? I don’t have a flue regulator, but never needed one in the past. I went around the stove with a stick of smoking incense while it was cold, and the only place i noticed the smoke entering was at the 20% opening. Can I take some fiberglass insulation (without the paper backing) and stick it into that 20% opening to cut down on air intake? Thanks

Attachments

• Hearthstone Homestead burning too hot
    23DD56AA-6517-4B70-8862-FB9772569789.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 158
Look for cracked stones for air leaks. Check the baffle for cracks or holes.

Does the increased air correlate with a drop in outside temperature?

Also check for leaks using the incense while the stove is burning

Look for cracked stones for air leaks. Check the baffle for cracks or holes.

Does the increased air correlate with a drop in outside temperature?
Thanks so much. I do have a fire brick that is along the back side of the stove that is loose (I feel like I could lift it out of the slot if I tried), but I was told by Hearthstone that it’s a closed unit and wouldn’t be compromised.
Hmm haven’t noticed if it’s worse when it’s colder, but I live in NY and it hasn’t really been super cold here yet this year.

Attachments

CA4689F5-C172-4510-BB5E-113CE0C5B46F.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 162
Also check for leaks using the incense while the stove is burning
Thanks for that suggestion. I did and did not notice any air being pulled in, besides at that barely open regulator. Harder to test near back of stove when burning because not a ton of clearance. Could I suddenly need a clue to control incoming air ? I don’t even know how a flue works, as I have never had one lol.

Thanks so much. I do have a fire brick that is along the back side of the stove that is loose (I feel like I could lift it out of the slot if I tried), but I was told by Hearthstone that it’s a closed unit and wouldn’t be compromised.
Hmm haven’t noticed if it’s worse when it’s colder, but I live in NY and it hasn’t really been super cold here yet this year.
Draft is going to get much stronger when it is cold outside. If you are comparing 40º performance to 20º performance, there will be a notable difference in air control setting.

If you have been running this stove for years, then you should be used to draft fluctuation due to outdoor temp.

When was the door gasket last replaced? Have you done a dollar bill test on it?

Yup very familiar with change of draft based on temp, but never had a problem basically killing the fire when regulator was closed in the past. . I will try dollar bill test when the stove is cold. Gaskets were replaced at end of last season.

Yup very familiar with change of draft based on temp, but never had a problem basically killing the fire when regulator was closed in the past. . I will try dollar bill test when the stove is cold. Gaskets were replaced at end of last season.
Is your wood dryer this year? You shouldn't be able to put the fire out by shutting the air

Is your wood dryer this year? You shouldn't be able to put the fire out by shutting the air
Hmm that is a good question. I don’t think it’s any drier than Usual. I agree that I should be able to extinguish the fire By closing the regulator, but I should be able to drop the temp below 450°, right?

Hmm that is a good question. I don’t think it’s any drier than Usual. I agree that I should be able to extinguish the fire By closing the regulator, but I should be able to drop the temp below 450°, right?
Not with any of the modern stoves I have used no

Wow no kidding?! Ok, so there is no way for me to lower the temp of my stove. If I get a flue installed, will that allow me to lower the temp?
By a flue I assume you mean a flue damper right? What pipe temps are you running now?

Yes, sorry, a damper. I’m running about 500° with the regulator completely closed on the bottom of the stove. What’s interesting, though, as the stove really died down this evening, I was able to see the general area where the issue was happening. It’s along the back wall of the stove, in the center. The air seems to be either coming down from the top of the box or from the center of the back wall. I know that I’ll have to replace the baffle that is above those pipes, as it is getting worn. But, if there is a hole in that baffle, would that allow air to come into the firebox that normally wouldn’t be coming in? I’ve attached photos of where the air seems to be stoking the fire. The darker photo is more accurate than the brighter photo, but still, you can see that there is definitely something going on along the back wall of the box. And it’s def not coming from the bottom. There is either a force of air coming down from the top or from the back, because I can see tiny embers blowing off the larger embers. And thanks for all of your help, btw. I appreciate it.

Attachments

C6896145-F9D6-4F12-A8A8-F95E56400751.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 158
    BE42DD85-24DE-4AC1-8ADC-B1AC0941A994.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 178
That is at the base of the secondary air supply tube. There should be no air coming in there. Based on the parts diagram, there should be a strap at the bottom of the tube in that location. (part 54) Is it still there?
Hearthstone Homestead burning too hot

This is not my stove, but found these photos online. My stove has a heat shield ((??)) on the back, like the first photo. And the second photo Shows where the air seems to be coming from, next to that center Column. What is that center column, exactly?

Attachments

76599A63-6DB3-4B1E-BA97-D4534E6BDFC3.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 148
    A6B13D51-DBB7-4D49-8AED-73291F3E2E4A.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 137
That is at the base of the secondary air supply tube. There should be no air coming in there. Based on the parts diagram, there should be a strap at the bottom of the tube in that location. Is it still there?
Hmmm....not sure! I’ll have to look and see what the strap looks like and then check. And thanks for the info about the secondary tube.

Yes, #54

Hmm I’m not seeing anything on the bottom

Attachments

ED8EDAB4-E028-406F-BF21-EA8B72B1304C.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 142
    DBA270D9-C3AA-4B68-B8E6-B01B377D6DA3.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 143
I’ve stacked some Cold ash along the back wall, near that secondary intake. When my husband gets home, I’ll have him blow the hair dryer into the intake to see if I get any ash blowing around in there. Hopefully that will point me toward the problem.

Sigh....ok so we blew the hair dryer into the secondary air intake and sure enough, I feel air coming around both sides of that secondary air stack going up the middle of the back of the stove. I blocked that area with two fire bricks for the time being, so we will see how it goes. But not even sure how this could be fixed on a permanent level? The wall is cast iron. That vertical pipe has no movement to it, either. . The photo below shows the area where air is coming from (blue lines) and most concentrated area (in orange). EDIT: Just started a fire and wow, the bricks made a huge difference. Now to figure out how to fix it permanently.

Thank you so much for your help, @begreen And @bholler!

Attachments

5FACA320-DB7E-4222-B171-FE2051A76C3B.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 148
    AB6A4925-4B1F-491F-8561-009A357BCD9A.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited: