Hearthpad for joutl F50tl rangley

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MEngineer24

Burning Hunk
Dec 6, 2020
WV
Well turns out that someone in my area had a Jotul F50tl in gently used condition. I pulled the trigger on it and have changed my mind on the stoves location. Looking at the manual's floor protection requirements (pictured below). It will be sitting on a hardwood floor so of course I will need a hearth pad. From what I gather, it appears (with the heat shield installed) it will only need to be ember protection? My plan would be to add a layer of cement board over the existing area hardwood floor and then lay a section of ceramic tile over that. Would that suffice and meet the requirements for this stove ?

Yes, but I would put a layer of plywood under the cement board.

To protect the hardwood floors I assume?
Yes, otherwise the cement board would get screwed to the floor, one screw every 8". The plywood also provides a flat, level surface for the cement board and tile.

Yes, otherwise the cement board would get screwed to the floor, one screw every 8". The plywood also provides a flat, level surface for the cement board and tile.
Good call, thanks for the advice. Would you have any other recommendations for a different hearth pad design ?

For ember protection only the hearthpad could be as simple as a sheet of metal. It depends on the look you want to achieve. If there is tile, stone or brick nearby in the house, maybe echo that material or color scheme?

As mentioned . . . plywood for the base as it will lessen the chances of flex . . . which will lessen the chance of cracked or popped tiles. I also ended up going with two layers of cement board for a little added security . . . then again I tend to over-do and over-think things when it comes to fire safety.

I ended up making my hearth slightly larger than needed . . . in any case . . . make sure it is the proper size in terms of clearances. I ended up using slate tile . . . I've seen some really good looking hearths though made with brick, metal, river rock, granite, glass and soapstone.

As mentioned . . . plywood for the base as it will lessen the chances of flex . . . which will lessen the chance of cracked or popped tiles. I also ended up going with two layers of cement board for a little added security . . . then again I tend to over-do and over-think things when it comes to fire safety.

I ended up making my hearth slightly larger than needed . . . in any case . . . make sure it is the proper size in terms of clearances. I ended up using slate tile . . . I've seen some really good looking hearths though made with brick, metal, river rock, granite, glass and soapstone.
Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate the advice! @firefighterjake @begreen

I have an F55 (bascially same stove) and use this. Works great. Simple and very low profile.

Reactions: MEngineer24