Having Fun Identifying Trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blazzinghot

Feeling the Heat
Dec 5, 2019
New Plymouth, Idaho
I have been taking my dog to the park and noticed the trees were tagged with round metal plates with numbers. The asked the park service person if the tags identified the trees and he said yes. I asked where I could get a list so I could have fun identifying the trees. But he was not sure about it. I called the city and they directed me to another person who told me about pg-cloud.com/idaho you can type in your own state and a map comes up we’re you can pick your own city. Any trees tagged in your city will show on the map in colored small dots. When you push on the dot the name of the tree pops up. This also works with your phone GPS so you can see yourself on the map so you can have fun identifying trees. So get

I called the city and they directed me to another person who told me about pg-cloud.com/idaho you can type in your own state and a map comes up we’re you can pick your own city. Any trees tagged in your city will show on the map in colored small dots. When you push on the dot the name of the tree pops up. This also works with your phone GPS so you can see yourself on the map so you can have fun identifying trees.
I tried a few other states, but couldn’t find any that work (other than Idaho). I think this must be a commercial product that is licensed by the state. The Idaho site is indeed cool, though!

I’m fortunate to work on a college campus that is also an arboretum, so all the trees are labeled. It’s definitely good practice (and fun) to quiz yourself by looking at the tree, then checking the answer.

AstroBoy,

I talked to them on the phone yesterday and they said it was state wide. I just tried it on New Mexico and selected a city at random and it worked. After you select a city in that state you have to move the map around to find the colored dots. I think this is very good idea as I have watched several videos on identifying trees which was helpful. But this takes it to a more hands on level. I can go to the park and look at the tree leaves and the bark to help me to become familiar with the different types. You can also plant your own tree and enter it into their data base.