Have the Englander set up...question regarding blower.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgh-pa

Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2009
Northcentral PA
I purchased the Englander NC-30 a month ago as an upgrade to my current smoke dragon (jumped on the $650 HD price), and have it all setup. In fact, I had it setup back before Oct, and had a few small break in fires to cure the paint as well as take some chill off on a few really chilly days we had here in PA. Now that we're getting closer to true heating season, I had a question about the blower. If this stove was in a main living area (which it's not...it's in my basement), I could definitely see keeping the blower on. However, am I going to get the heat circulation moving better to the upstairs by blowing a fan at the stove or down the stairs (stairs are on the opposite end of the basement, and there is a vent almost directly above the stove) to get the air moving better rather than using the blower on the stove? I do see the the blower actually exits the top of the stove on the back, which actually may direct the hot air above the up to the vent an into the main living area, but I'm not sure. I guess some trial and error wouldn't hurt.

MGH,

Last year I used ceiling fans upstairs and a box fan at the bottom of the steps downstairs. I have a lower level install in a finished lower level of a raised ranch. Over the summer I purchased a blower for my stove. Now being that it is really only shoulder season, this may be a bit premature, but I personally can notice a BIG difference with the blower on the stove during this time of year. I can only assume that it will also make a huge difference during the peak of heating season as well. During the coldest time of the year I may end up using all the fans and blower but we shall see.

I would suggest trial and error. Many people say the blower is a waste, but then there are others that say it makes a difference. I suppose like everything else it depends on the setup of the home as to how to get the air to move. If nothing else the blower takes the coldest air, from the floor of the lowest level, and moves it up and over the stove to warm it, which really cant be a bad thing.

Shawn

I have the same setup but am lucky to have the stairwell leading to the foyer right to the side of the stove so heat moves up easily for me.

I don't have a blower and make out fine. My buddy w/ a 30 used his blower 1 year and has since shut it down and prefers using a fan as you mentioned. For my setup, if I were to use a blower it would put more heat into a part of the basement that really isn't used a lot. I like my hot spot being near that stairwell and directly under my kitchen, living room and dining room, to heck w/ the bedrooms, put a darn extra blanket on.

I'd say play around with it and see how it works. If the stairwell is close I'd predict that the blower isn't going to help you much. If the stairwell is a ways away from the stove, then it may help move some heat further away for you.

Let us know what you find out.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.