Has Anyone Tried the Heat Powered Fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotulburner

Hearth Supporter
Sep 9, 2010
maine
I have seen some stove top heat powered fans just wondering if they are any good or are they junk? Also I only see one Brand anyone know of competitor's with cheaper Price's decent quality? That is if they are any good to begin with.

jotulburner said:
I have seen some stove top heat powered fans just wondering if they are any good or are they junk? Also I only see one Brand anyone know of competitor's with cheaper Price's decent quality? That is if they are any good to begin with.

They work in regards to them spinning at a pretty good speed once the fan gets up to temp. Some report a noticeable difference in heat movement while others do not. I own the three blade version. I noticed heat movement on one stove, but not on the other two.

If you have a newer model Encore I believe they have the option of adding a blower. I know the newest models have a blower option (which you do not have), and I thought the previous model of the Encore did as well (which you might have). I could be wrong.

I may look into a blower for the stove, just not sure its what I need. We have a Garrison style home with stove in living room 3 of 4 beds upstairs for the most part the fact that heat rises puts it where I need it. Our 4th bedroom which happens to be the master is on first floor in an addition just off and to the side of the stove my bed sits about 15 feet from the stove. So all I really need is something to push a little heat diagonally through my open bedroom door. A slow constant push during waking hours to keep ambient temp of Master up is all I think need.

I think the general consensus on these devices is they're more of an interesting conversation piece and cool gadget than a practical heat transfer device. Very high up front cost relative to the benefit you get.

You will get better results from putting a small fan in the doorway of the cold room and direct a slow stream of air along the floor towards the stove, the cool air you evacuate out of the bedroom will be replaced by warm air thats running along the ceiling.

Some folks like em. Search on Ecofan using the Search above left on your screen. There are lots of posts on this topic.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Has Anyone Tried the Heat Powered Fans
    search me.webp
    2.6 KB · Views: 452
mayhem said:
I think the general consensus on these devices is they're more of an interesting conversation piece and cool gadget than a practical heat transfer device. Very high up front cost relative to the benefit you get.

You will get better results from putting a small fan in the doorway of the cold room and direct a slow stream of air along the floor towards the stove, the cool air you evacuate out of the bedroom will be replaced by warm air thats running along the ceiling.

We bought a "heat powered fan", and this evaluation is spot-on.

Buy a cheap box fan, set it on the floor and point it at the stove. You will get x1000000 heat transfer compared to the heat powered fan, and it will be at a fraction of the cost.

mayhem said:

+1

Nice to see this post. I was actually talking with the wife about one of these to get her opinion for this burning season.
(It's about the same as the last two post, btw...)

In our old home we had a small electric fan over the stove, but it was LOUD. It did the trick to circulate some warmed air, but not too convenient so we rarely used it.
With the Jotul F600 Firelight pumping out heat, we often just turn on the ceiling fan in the family room which does the trick. At least for the rooms on that side of the house and for some reason the master bedroom which is on the whole opposite side of the house. (Not complaining, but it seems to suck the heat away from drifting into my daughter's room which is more or less overlooking the family room but apparently tucked away just enough to not get the warm air blasted in without a small fan in the hallway on those very cold nights...)

Status
Not open for further replies.