New England (MA, CT, ME, NH, VT, RI) Has anyone heard of 2019-2020 pellet shortages?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Home Depot in Mass is starting to get stock. Unfortunately so far, looks like all Green Supreme. $250/tn, $219 w/ 6+ tons. same as last year.
GS were awesome last year, years ago they were not good now there owned by Lignetic's there very hot with low ash, don't complain until you try them, Chow suck's compared to them

GS were awesome last year, years ago they were not good now there owned by Lignetic's there very hot with low ash, don't complain until you try them, Chow suck's compared to them

Not the 10 bags I got, just to try (never burned them before). The were very ashy compared to the Chows. Heat was okay, but for the price the GS go for around here, they should be better.

Maybe I just got a bad batch - it happens - even MWP's sometimes get more ashy than I like.

Reactions: Pellet-King
GS were awesome last year, years ago they were not good now there owned by Lignetics there very hot with low ash, don't complain until you try them, Chow suck's compared to them
I used 3 tons of the Lignetics \ green supremes last year .. they were ok but pretty ashy, (but still better than in previous years) they were \ are about 259 a ton at lowes ... Greene Teams were much better but they are more expensive .. about 285 a ton when buying 2 or more tons,, I am having 3 tons delivered 9/12/19.. hate the higher price but like cleaner and hotter which they are ... tried to check out the white bags at TS with igepir but the scan just came up as tractor supply ... 2 years ago they had better pellets, last years were absolute garbage

Reactions: bogieb
Havent heard of the shortage in Connecticut, but the prices are higher than last year at regular pellet guys and lowes/home depot. Deivery has seemed to go up as well locally for me. Place i bought stove at wants $90 for delivery of 3 tons and extra $15 for the 4th ton literally 12 miles away. Best deal for me was 4 tons greene team platinums delivered for 280 a tom including delivery..... could have gotten the cheaper brands lowes/home depot carry but these burn a lot better for the price.

I live near the NEWPS plant in southwest NH. I have been seeing their trucks fully loaded almost every day out making deliveries to pellet vendors and have noticed stacks of their pellets at various stores in the area.

I live near the NEWPS plant in southwest NH. I have been seeing their trucks fully loaded almost every day out making deliveries to pellet vendors and have noticed stacks of their pellets at various stores in the area.

Local Abuchons has them stacked in their driveway. Lots of pellets (of another brand) at TSC - at the same price as last year. Haven't checked Agway out yet. Was up in Concord, at HD today and they had FSU's for $5.48/bag - which is pretty much what they were last year. I kinda miss the FSUs, since I've been getting the TSC pellets (don't ask why - nostalgia maybe?). I woulda picked up a couple of bags but I'm sitting on around 6 tons right now and got nowhere to put them.

Yes the industry started out the season with the least on the ground in recent history.

No I doubt there will be a price increase as most places pre-buy.

There has been a few break downs at more then one mill in New England that has caused production issues.

YES stores WILL be running out this year and resupply will be intermittent once that happens.

NO, I will not tell you how I know but trust me.

Supply shortage us true this year BUT again I don't see price increases happening.

When supply gets to where the are out at locations I'll try to get on and let people know where the next places to be resupplied are and what day the should, not will but should, get their resupply.

Happy heating all. Snow in the forecast for northern New England Friday.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
I heard rumblings of pellet material shortages. Supply is good for now but once the season starts rolling I think there will be some hard times getting pellets.
It seems as if the pellet shortage occurs every year after February. I've had my pellet stove since 2015 and still love and prefer its radiate heat as opposed to force air heat. In fact, I don't even turn my (gas) house heater on unless I'm going away on vacation. Grant it, I've learned in the long run "sometimes" its much cheaper to run house heater than feed my pellet stove. I live in NJ (the sock it 2 U state). I just stock up early and usually 4.5 tons carries me through the cold weather.

Not the 10 bags I got, just to try (never burned them before). The were very ashy compared to the Chows. Heat was okay, but for the price the GS go for around here, they should be better.

Maybe I just got a bad batch - it happens - even MWP's sometimes get more ashy than I like.
Found out the GS that say Appalachian blend on the bag are the good hot and low ash

21 years ago when I first got my stove If you didnt buy pellets in Sept you were out for the rest of year, by the mid 2000's pellets were sold everywhere

I don’t get the people who refuse to just buy over the summer. I mean, a few pallets worth of storage space is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Last late winter we had people waiting in line before we opened just to buy ten bags at a time.

I don’t get the people who refuse to just buy over the summer. I mean, a few pallets worth of storage space is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Last late winter we had people waiting in line before we opened just to buy ten bags at a time.
They aren't around over the summer. Any that happen to be around at the end of the heating season are not on sale. In fall I get a 10% off coupon and/or pellets go on sale. My basement can be damp, so it is better to wait until fall's drier air anyway.

Some people don't have place to store tonnage, or don't have the means to buy more than a few bags at a time. Heck, I've known people to buy 10 gallons of diesel at a time because they couldn't afford to fill their oil tank.

Some people don't have place to store tonnage, or don't have the means to buy more than a few bags at a time.

I think he, like me, is referring to the people that 'can'... but do not.
When someone comes in with a 2 year old, 3/4 ton pickup, and 4 wheel trailer,
I'm thinking he can afford them in June..
Same with the people that have a 2 acre place, that I drool over..

Right now, deliveries, both in shipping and receiving, is chaos..
(around 'here', anyway..)
;)

Dan

Just curious, why are prices so high for you guys in the north east,no pellet plants close or what.

lt‘s not just pellets that are high priced. Everything is overpriced due to excessive taxes, fees, regulation and cost of doing business. Here in CT it is the worst, it is a shame and it only gets worse.