harman ready for motherboard?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bobnoffs

Feb 18, 2014
woodruff, wisconsin
i bought my harman p43 new about 6 yrs. ago. the past 3 yrs it has only burnt a ton a season. this started very rarely a few years ago but now it is the rule. i will describe it , please tell me what you think.
when i turn stove off the auger stops but the combustion motor will never shut off. i unplug stove and when i replug it the motor starts for a few seconds and stops like it always used to but then starts again, with the rotary knob turned to off. and the circulating fan is running on high. i unplug it, put in pellets and charcoal lighter on and plug it in again. does the same again and the auger starts running and away it goes. a couple hours later the auger stops but the combustion fan keeps going. forever.
it seems to be doing a lot of unrelated things. is it the motherboard?
bob noffs

i bought my harman p43 new about 6 yrs. ago. the past 3 yrs it has only burnt a ton a season. this started very rarely a few years ago but now it is the rule. i will describe it , please tell me what you think.
when i turn stove off the auger stops but the combustion motor will never shut off. i unplug stove and when i replug it the motor starts for a few seconds and stops like it always used to but then starts again, with the rotary knob turned to off. and the circulating fan is running on high. i unplug it, put in pellets and charcoal lighter on and plug it in again. does the same again and the auger starts running and away it goes. a couple hours later the auger stops but the combustion fan keeps going. forever.
bob noffs

Hi Bob,

It does sound like it might well be the computer board. That said, I've seen a Harman refuse to shut down the combustion fan if the ESP goes out of spec making the computer "think" that the exhaust was never cooling down enough to show the fire was out. You could unplug it, plug it back in and the combustion fan would still run.

Hugh

ESP..?

replace the ESP and the circuit board then all controls are fresh. Or you could try just a ESP then if problem is not solved replace the board. I always replace the ESP when I do a board.

Reactions: gfreek
2 yrs. when i tried to address this i know i checked the esp [resistance?] or replaced it, can't remember which. then spring came and the feeling went away. i plan to fix it all now. new esp is a good idea , i will get that with new board. i have checked prices on the sites that come up on the web. does anyone have any other sources? and thanks to all that have read my post.
bob noffs

Reactions: Ssyko
bob noffs
Is the stove running off of a surge protector?

Reactions: Ssyko and SciGuy
2 yrs. when i tried to address this i know i checked the esp [resistance?] or replaced it, can't remember which. then spring came and the feeling went away. i plan to fix it all now. new esp is a good idea , i will get that with new board. i have checked prices on the sites that come up on the web. does anyone have any other sources? and thanks to all that have read my post.
bob noffs

They're $195 at Pellethead with free shipping. That's the bet deal I see at the moment.

rhe stove is running off a unit with a battery that will power it until the fore is out . don't they have surge protection?
bob noffs
Is it connected to a UPS, Uninterruptible Power Supply ?

Far as I know, a UPS unit is just standby power, no surge protection. Could be all wet as I don't need one (UPS).

Far as I know, a UPS unit is just standby power, no surge protection. Could be all wet as I don't need one (UPS).
My Cyberpower UPS has surge protection of 1445 Joules, AVR- automatic voltage regulation, battery backup. Outlets for just surge or surge with battery backup. Connected to my stove

Don't know what a Joule is except the cattle fencer I have has a lot and you don't want to get on the wrong end of the hot wire or it will make a believer out of your, right now. The old adage applies, never pee on an electric fence.... :)

if Sysko says the Tripp-Lite is good enough, it's good enough for me.

Joules -
As for Joules rating, it is widely known as energy absorption rating, which is basically the amount of energy (power) a surge protector is able to absorb before it stops working (as in protecting your devices against power surges).
The amount of Joules inside a power surge suppressor decreases every time it takes a “blow” from power surges from lightning strikes or transients.

I have never had my stoves on a surge protector. I know they should be.

I have never had my stoves on a surge protector. I know they should be.
for 35 bucks, I'm surprised you don't. Lots cheaper than a toasted board....

Wonder if Joules is a distant relative of Jules Verne? :p

for 35 bucks, I'm surprised you don't. Lots cheaper than a toasted board....

Wonder if Joules is a distant relative of Jules Verne? :p
You are definitely right. I just ordered 2. I guess I have pressed my luck far enough:)

Oh, and I have 2 stoves with no outside air kits :cool:

Oh, and I have 2 stoves with no outside air kits :cool:
And no paintbrush either........lol

I will say the Tripp-Lite Isobar splurge protectors are well made, nice wrinkle finish metal housing with 2 led lights and 2 protected outlets and assembled in you know where....lol (not Hencho Mexico either.....)

You'll like them even if you are recycling already heated air...

Reactions: rickwai and Ssyko
before i go down the motherboard path i guess i should at least test the esp probe. i know i have done it before but i can not find any info as to what the resistance of the probe should be. does anyone know where i should look or have that info? thnks
bob noffs

And no paintbrush either........lol

I will say the Tripp-Lite Isobar splurge protectors are well made, nice wrinkle finish metal housing with 2 led lights and 2 protected outlets and assembled in you know where....lol (not Hencho Mexico either.....)

You'll like them even if you are recycling already heated air...
I have a brush, just dont use it as much as you! Now the last time Ssyko posted this unit I said it was a good looking unit but never bought them. And you kinda cracked on me for saying it looked nice! Now you are complimenting on the particular finish type :) :) :)
I need to hook up my oak on the St.Croix. It got covered up when the house was resided a couple years ago. The basement Harman no chance. It is in a finished room and it is a manufactured home so I had to cut thru metal on the end of the house to get the exhaust out.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
yesterday i pulled the esp probe and it tested fine. i cleaned it and put it back together. last night when i plugged in the stove it started and stopped as it should. burned it for 8 hours and when i turned it off it shut down as it should. just got up and the distribution fan is running and there is a half cup of fresh pellets in the pot. so many weird things going on i think i need the new board.
bob noffs

yesterday i pulled the esp probe and it tested fine. i cleaned it and put it back together. last night when i plugged in the stove it started and stopped as it should. burned it for 8 hours and when i turned it off it shut down as it should. just got up and the distribution fan is running and there is a half cup of fresh pellets in the pot. so many weird things going on i think i need the new board.
bob noffs
Without a diagnostic meter it is difficult to check them. With the diag tool you can watch it and see the temp it is sending to the board while it is working. Another thing to rule out is plug the stove directly into the outlet. I have seen back up power supplies cause weird issues if they are faulty. If that has no result replace the board and esp.