Harman P68 6 blink issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SininStyle

Burning Hunk
Mar 8, 2013
Stove runs fine all day just fine. Have had it shut off 3x in the middle of the night. Full bin of pellets and showing 6 blinks. I am suspecting the ESP which is probably 6-7 yrs old now. Could it be something else? Manual says combustion and usually its when it runs out of pellets it will blink 6. So just hoping for suggestions, thanks.

Edit: could be the old pellets I am using. Getting caught in the feed would do the same thing I guess.

Last edited:
6 blinks is incomplete combustion. I would do a full clean including the vent stack.

Check for a obstruction in the bottom of the hopper,

Been testing this out and it seems to be the pellets. Older bags are clogging it up. Ran a few new bags and no issue at all.
Thanks or the help. Will keep an eye on it.

The 6 blink error message was first used on the old Pellet Pro II and invincible T stoves because the pellets were not burning completely because the pusher block was allowing too many pellets into the auger chute and needed adjustment. :)
Knowing this history does help. If you have a newer stove, check for correct air flow (see if flapper valve is stuck) and check for pellet feeding correctly. (Max pellet feed adjustment knob set to 3 or 4) Also make sure the pellets are fresh and not sitting there all summer and full of moisture.

So, coldest night of the year and it has returned. Cleaned fines, cleaned bin,
Everytime it has happened its happened after changing pellets and this is no different. 2 yr old Maines Choice started this. Left over pellets that are pretty crap to be honest. I burn them spring and fall when its just to take the bite off the cold and isnt really expected to pull weight.
I tried to burn some Okies and again about 45 minutes in it shutoff and I got a 6 blink. Auger is full of pellets, they kick right out on restart. It restarts without issue, then shuts off randomly. Can be anywhere from 45 minutes to hours.
Weirdly after the problem started, I switched to firesides from this years delivery. Had no issue since Nov.. The moment I tried to switch to okies the issue returned.
Thought maybe the door seal was warn out as I could see daylight. Leaned on the handle and sucked it up, no daylight. Failed again anyway.
I couldn't see anything wrong inside the hopper. Didnt look bound up. I pulled all the Okies out and replaced with Fireside. Cleaned out the bin. Set to room temp, could try stove temp to rule out room probe but feels like a long shot.

All ears. Any suggestions welcome.

I think if you’d go on stove temp you can keep the temperature up high in the burn pot for over an hour, it might be enough keep the fire going. The pellet quality or moisture content in the pellets may be the issue and the extra heat may help.

Reactions: SininStyle
I think if you’d go on stove temp you can keep the temperature up high in the burn pot for over an hour, it might be enough keep the fire going. The pellet quality or moisture content in the pellets may be the issue and the extra heat may help.
never dealt with high moisture before. The okies were stored in a barn. When its a moisture issue do they leave unburned pellets? Because I always find it we red hot embers. On restart the moment the pellets come out they immediately light.

Incomplete combustion is usually lack of air, high pellet moisture and a weak igniter may cause a shutdown as well.

Sorry it was late. There isn't any unburned pellets remaining. I just thought it was weird its having a combustion error when they are burning and there doesn't appear to be an issue with feeding.
It went all night no issue on firesides which are this years order.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Make sure the holes in your burnpot are fully open/clean, it sound like it may be the pellets if it is running well on your new order

Reactions: Ssyko
Make sure the holes in your burnpot are fully open/clean, it sound like it may be the pellets if it is running well on your new order
yeah I am pretty convinced its the fuel now. It ran all night without issue. With half a bin left i put a couple handfuls of the older stuff and mixed it in. No issue so I added some sizable scoops and mixed it in with the entire bin. It shut off an hour later and this time it had 3 unburned pellets.
Not sure how this became an issue. These things were stacked in the barn perfectly dry. they dont show any signs visually of an issue. They arnt blown out at all. What sucks is I got 2 more tons under the barn. I use the Okies for those crazy cold nights because they burn hotter than fireside.

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up
Ok good to know, anytime I get a crap batch of pellets, I just mix them in at about %25 with the good pellets and they’ll burn

Woke up to 47F in the house. Not a good way to start a Sunday. Might just have to get a tech out or something.
I replaced the combustion fan, the little one, early in the season because the bearings were shot. Maybe thats messing with something.

so after thinking it was the combustion fan because the flames looked lazy and pellets wernt dancing. I pulled the bin to make sure it was not clogged. it was clear. While in there though I spotted the hatch under the pot was open. looks like when I last cleaned it out and screwed it back in, caught a thread on the bolt. sizable gap. Pellets are dancing again, flames are forked. Really hoping this lines up with all the other issues and not just a side track.

so after thinking it was the combustion fan because the flames looked lazy and pellets wernt dancing. I pulled the bin to make sure it was not clogged. it was clear. While in there though I spotted the hatch under the pot was open. looks like when I last cleaned it out and screwed it back in, caught a thread on the bolt. sizable gap. Pellets are dancing again, flames are forked. Really hoping this lines up with all the other issues and not just a side track.
That will do it. Definitely your issue. Glad you figured it out.

And randomly its back. Shut off in the middle of the night and now wont run for more than 45 mins at a time. Only thing I changed was the temp. Maybe a motherboard issue? Its shutting off with a full tray of red hot embers, if it would just tell it to push pellets.

was suppose to get real chilly last night so I turned it up a couple degrees.

Have you pulled the potentiometers off and sprayed them with contact cleaner?

no, never done that. possible for the temp setting to cause a 6 blink? makes no sense to me . its literally telling me there is no fire and shutting off with a light fire in there.

I was getting strange controlling, cleaned mine and then no issues, can’t hurt

Try cycling the 3 knobs from stop to stop with the stove off. May be a dead/ dirty spot on one of them

If you plan to clean the potentiometers pull the board out of the stove to do it. Crc QD cleaner is safe on boards and plastic. But it is flamable. You don’t want a puddle of that around the stove when you turn it on