Harman P43 OAK Kit ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TPayne

Jan 17, 2020
Maryland
So I recently had a Harman P43 installed in my basement. I had an OAK kit installed as well and it is run with the usual flex pipe. Of course being a basement install the flex pipe is visible and the wife thinks it’s ugly at wants me to make it look more pleasing to the eye. I had originally intended on fabricating a replacement for the flex hose out of auto exhaust but got to thinking of another option but not sure if it would be legal or safe.

The oak kit originates at my foundation wall than comes in throug my dry wall next to stove pipe thimble than hangs down to the stove. I have a hollow stud cavity as my basement was insulated before it was finished. Could I legally run the flex pipe in side the stud cavity so that it exits the drywall behind the stove and is hidden rather than have it hanging down next to the stove pipe?

Attachments

• Harman  P43 OAK Kit ?
    831DF51C-E7E2-4603-B6F5-A19DC1674672.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 162
Legally depends on your local building codes. I don’t think it would be an issue. Another option wo be to enclose/box it in , to make it look better.

If it were me I would run the flex pipe
in a chase behind the drywall.
But check your building/fire code first
so if anything happened your insurance would cover you

I needed an OAK kit because according to the Harman manual, my vent was too close to a window without it. With a vent, no issue. Even State Farm picked up on that when their home inspector broke out her tape measure. I showed her in the book what it said and she was happy.

I have the exact same setup in my basement with the air supply as you, except my wife never said a word. I was originally going to do something fancier, but after spending all that money on ICC Excel 4" venting, I took the cheaper route and did what you did.

Why not just use 3" vent pipe, and spray it stove black?
It will match your other one...

Dan

Thanks for the response, was hoping some one might have done it already. I have an inspector coming out so I will ask him when he comes. If it’s not legal I think I will go the automotive exhaust route and weld it up. My installer was going to do it pvc for me but wanted $ 200 extra to do it. Travelers insurance requires it to be installed by a certified installer and pretty much took me for a ride on the install and I thought that price was ridiculous. Couldn’t believe they wouldn’t let me install It and have It inspected by the county.

Thanks for the response, was hoping some one might have done it already. I have an inspector coming out so I will ask him when he comes. If it’s not legal I think I will go the automotive exhaust route and weld it up. My installer was going to do it pvc for me but wanted $ 200 extra to do it. Travelers insurance requires it to be installed by a certified installer and pretty much took me for a ride on the install and I thought that price was ridiculous. Couldn’t believe they wouldn’t let me install It and have It inspected by the county.
[/QUOTE
I personally wouldn’t use PVC. I would think, in the event of a power failure, it would be possible, although unlikely, for the stove to pull air from the vent, and exhaust through the air intake. Probably not the best thing from a safety standpoint. Over cautious......maybe. Jmho

I'd be concerned about the piping inside the wall, in the unlikely, but possible, event of fire getting into the OAK. That is why we use metallic tubing in the first place.