Hard to remove Ryobi 18 v battery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 23, 2008
ky
hello all. anyone else Im sure find the 18 v Ryobi tool batteries hard to squeeze and remove?? esp us women Some times I can use my left hand and it works the first time. Most take mutiple times. I read on some DIY forum to use Beeswax or what ever. Where exactly do you put the wax? I have seen any videos on that
?Thanks all

I can picture it being awkward for smaller hands where the thickness of the battery is in play. When arthritis is acting up in my hands I use two thumbs to pop the battery out. I notice this especially with the weed wacker . You may well find the low profile battery easier to grip and remove but they are not inexpensive.

I have small hands - only my left hand can reach both releases on a 4.0ah (and barely at that). There are times I have to use both hands to unlock the battery. I hold the tool between my knees (while sitting) and press both buttons, then use my thumbs to wiggle it enough out of place that I can then grab it and remove.

That is one of the reasons I really, really like the 40v batteries.

I've never heard of using beeswax and really don't see that as a solution to this particular problem.

Even my Hubby complains about removing the batteries for years too, and he has large hands and strong too, I prob change at least one item battery a dsy esp the flashlightThanks all great fellow members

It’s possible a bit of wax could reduce friction and make them easier to remove. It might not help with the buttons though. They’re probably held on with springs of some sort. Different brands have different attachments. If Ridgid is hard to disconnect, try Makita. Makita has 1 button in the front.

Corded tools are often lighter and have more power /capability than the cordless ones. You need to drag a cord /tail around with you though.

[Hearth.com] Hard to remove Ryobi 18 v battery