Guy at the fireplace store says our new stove set up won't draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It is really nice to hear from someone who owns this stove, rather than just the folks who sold it. We are looking forward to having a stove again, after 2 years of living in an RV while we build. Although it will be just for cooking and ambiance (we have hydronic floors), we miss the fire.
The Milly does the majority of our heating of a moderately insulated 210 year old cape in northern New England, burning maple, oak, and birch . The wood had been seasoned for a year when I first started with the Milly, and I had creosote dripping out of bottom of stove. I got two cords of kiln dried to start season this year, no creosote and way more heat output. I’m ahead a year in wood now, so hopefully two years of seasoning will be fine!

Reactions: doglover1918
The Milly does the majority of our heating of a moderately insulated 210 year old cape in northern New England, burning maple, oak, and birch . The wood had been seasoned for a year when I first started with the Milly, and I had creosote dripping out of bottom of stove. I got two cords of kiln dried to start season this year, no creosote and way more heat output. I’m ahead a year in wood now, so hopefully two years of seasoning will be fine!

1 year topcovered is good for pine in my climate. One of my favorite woods- I'll go right past oak to get to the pine if I don't have enough for next year yet.

My main complaint with pine is that deadfall and dead standing goes south so fast... oak gets better with age after the tree dies, but pine turns into a sponge pretty quick.

It is really nice to hear from someone who owns this stove, rather than just the folks who sold it. We are looking forward to having a stove again, after 2 years of living in an RV while we build. Although it will be just for cooking and ambiance (we have hydronic floors), we miss the fire.
I think you will enjoy the stove. We lived in an RV for two years in NC while saving up money to buy a place in Maine. A through the wall install isn't bad and you can still use a top exit flue if you make the thimble a bit higher off the ground. An exterior chimney will have more draft struggles than an interior, but this can mostly be overcome with an insulated chase. Exterior chimneys still call for a roof support if it is so high above the roof line.