Guidance on using (new to me) Hearthstone Homestead 8570

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PlanB

Feb 8, 2019
South Jersey
Im guessing since I didn't get any replies on the other thread Im supposed to start a new one(forum Etiquette?)
2 Issues
I just fired up the hearthstone and when I open or close the air control it really doesn't have any effect. It just burns Hot and fast which I believe is due to the ash pan. But before I installed it I checked to make sure the gasket was tight, by sticking a light in the ash drawer and looking for light in the box. Is there another thing I can do? I let the fire burn out and pulled the ashpan the gasket looks good but I pulled it out and reset it. It slowed it down but Im going to see if I can get a new gasket at Tractor supply today.

The second issue when starting the fire smoke will drift out the door when loading. Which could be from the way I start the fire (some paper,a little kindling start fire ,close door but not tight , open door ,add a little more kindling,(thats when smoke will come out .Not alot but enough to bother me. Should I just be loading with kindling instead of a little at a time so the chimney heats up?
The chimney is 6" double wall that stands 14' from the top of stove to the top of the pipe and that has a cap on top . Its also straight up,no turns in the pipe

Have you tried "the dollar bill test" on your gasket?
When the stove is not burning, open the ash door &
insert a dollar bill between the gasket & the stove body.
Close the door & latch it. try to pull the dollar out.
If it doesn't move, or you feel resistance when pulling,
the gasket is probably OK. If it pulls out easily, replace it.
You need to try this on different areas of the door.
If you're getting blow back smoke into your home, you
May need to open a window or add an Outside Air Kit (OAK).
You could also try starting your stove with a "top down" method.
Look that up. It will probably work well for you.

Have you tried "the dollar bill test" on your gasket?
When the stove is not burning, open the ash door &
insert a dollar bill between the gasket & the stove body.
Close the door & latch it. try to pull the dollar out.
If it doesn't move, or you feel resistance when pulling,
the gasket is probably OK. If it pulls out easily, replace it.
You need to try this on different areas of the door.
If you're getting blow back smoke into your home, you
May need to open a window or add an Outside Air Kit (OAK).
You could also try starting your stove with a "top down" method.
Look that up. It will probably work well for you.
I thought about that butThe ash pan is surrounded by another body so cant get a bill in there
I got this reply on phone while at work so i had time to think on it,,,I believe Ill be able to take the GRate out and do the dollar test from above. It never crossed my mind until your post. We'll find out shortly.
OAK is mainly useful in an airtight house?,This garage is far from airtight so would it matter?
Top down method,,,Iv heard of that....I'll give it a shot :) Thank You

WOOHOooo Problem #1 solved. :) Pulled the grate to give the ash pan the dollar bill test and saw that the pan was NOT shutting all the way. I had to hit it in pretty hard to get it to close up the last 1/4". Still have to figure why its like that because its definitely not normal.
I did start the fire from the top and still have the smoke issue. Unless theres a good flame smoke will come out when door is open. Im pretty sure I read to use a 6" chimney at 13' tall . With the drafty garage would the OAK do any good ?

We quit using our ash pan. It was just a nuisance and I was never sure it was completely shut.

As for the smoke...build your fire 'pile', light it in the center, then leave your door open a bit (1/2")
to give it air. See how that works for you. Mine is left cracked open for about 15 minutes to get
it going.

Wood burners can be like kids...no two are the same and a few can be quite temperamental! LOL

WOOHOooo Problem #1 solved. :) Pulled the grate to give the ash pan the dollar bill test and saw that the pan was NOT shutting all the way. I had to hit it in pretty hard to get it to close up the last 1/4". Still have to figure why its like that because its definitely not normal.
I did start the fire from the top and still have the smoke issue. Unless theres a good flame smoke will come out when door is open. Im pretty sure I read to use a 6" chimney at 13' tall . With the drafty garage would the OAK do any good ?
Look for a hard crust of ash at the back of the ashpan cavity with the ash pan out. It may take a bit of work to dig out if there is buildup there.

We quit using our ash pan. It was just a nuisance and I was never sure it was completely shut.

As for the smoke...build your fire 'pile', light it in the center, then leave your door open a bit (1/2")
to give it air. See how that works for you. Mine is left cracked open for about 15 minutes to get
it going.

Wood burners can be like kids...no two are the same and a few can be quite temperamental! LOL
All probability Ill not be using the ash pan either.Don't see it being a convenience .
Yes Iv started the fire that way.Still get smoke.I can have a good fire going and open the door and still get smoke. I also leave it open a bit to get the fire going.I think this stove is one of those temperamental kids .
Any other tips ? Thank You

Look for a hard crust of ash at the back of the ashpan cavity with the ash pan out. It may take a bit of work to dig out if there is buildup there.
I looked there and also looked for any dents in the lip,Nothing there.

Damn Im loving this stove.I actually pulled a rocker chairr in the garage .Am thinking of putting a TV in there. Im about out of seasoned wood (wout make it till chrismas .I do have an order coming this weekend but its at a 21-22% MC I picked ua few of the enviro brick to try out and loved them so picked up half a skid to mix in. My nephew says they go on sale a couple times a year 2 for $5 and with his employee discount it will be @$200 a skid 1 skid = 1 cord