Greenish mildew/mold on firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Aug 20, 2014
Eden, NY
I noticed this dark greenish/blueish powdery mildew on my firewood (the color in the picture makes it look darker than it actually is)
It is two years seasoned and top covered out in the open.
Has anyone seen this before? Any concerns with burning or should I toss them aside?

thanks all!

Greenish mildew/mold on firewood

just burn it as long as it's dry enough. Does not look punky, so you won't see a difference in heat output.
But even punky wood (if dry) will burn (just not with as many btus produced).

I would avoid stacking much of this in your home, given mold spores spreading into lungs etc. I.e. take what you burn into the home one day in advance so it gets up to temperature, and store it out of fan flows etc.

just burn it as long as it's dry enough. Does not look punky, so you won't see a difference in heat output.
But even punky wood (if dry) will burn (just not with as many btus produced).

I would avoid stacking much of this in your home, given mold spores spreading into lungs etc. I.e. take what you burn into the home one day in advance so it gets up to temperature, and store it out of fan flows etc.

Thanks for the reply - that's what I was thinking but wanted some thoughts on it. Come fall and winter, I store the wood under my outdoor covered porch and only bring in a handful at a time so I should be good there.

thanks again!

Reactions: stoveliker
I had a bunch of black walnut that got moldy one year. I can't even remember when it was cut but I'm guessing it was spring... Lots of sugar in black walnut sap in the spring. The mold on mine was mostly on the log ends. I kept a bristle brush out by the wood pile, and brushed it off before I brought it in the house. It burned just fine, nothing to worry about there. I'm in agreement with stoveliker. You want to minimize the mold spores in your home.

Reactions: Fivehorizons88
Haven't seen it. I'd put it in the stove, but store it outside, preferably in the sun.

Common New England observation these days :)