Good deed for the day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Backwoods Savage said:
Ray, this has been a good thread. Thanks for posting.

I'm no doubt not the oldest on this forum but have passed the retirement mark. I agree that we do slow down some with age but it is not because we want to. I cut wood for the first time yesterday since March. No, I did not cut very much but the body this morning surely told me I had been doing something different. Age is just one of the reasons we have a big wood pile. I know some time I may not be able to cut. Okay, I still have wood ready to burn. Certainly there would be many come in and cut for us (many have offered already) but it just seems better doing it yourself and as stated, the exercise is good for the body.

I also agree; spend time with Dad. Our time on Earth is short so we need to make the most of it. Both of my parents are gone as are my wife's parents. We still have memories and it is strange that this came up because as I was driving home this morning from the city, I was thinking of our parents; both sets.

I hear ya Dennis! I will be 53 on Jan. 2 and I feel it at times too.. My dad is the last survivor, my grandparents died years ago and my mom 4 yrs ago.. My in-laws live 1300 miles away so I rarely see them but they are hanging in there so far.. Be grateful for what you have because it's not forever though it seems that way at times.. I really do enjoy those senior to me and feel they have much to offer if we only listen!

Ray

Reminds me of a recent newspaper article on burning. They interviewed a older couple (70s? 80s), who had run their stove for years, but finally switched to a pellet stove.

They would get help to hump the pellets inside, but they could move small quantities by bucket to keep the hopper full. That way they were close to self-sufficient, and could still enjoy a fire.

Seemed like a realistic take on one's diminished capacity for splitting and hauling!

Status
Not open for further replies.