Going back to wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian, I love BC. Can I come visit? If I were old and inferm and could not obtain firewood, I'd have to settle for a pellet stove. Fortunately, that is two or three decades away for me. OK, down to brass tacks: read up on whether you want a cat or a non-cat stove. Evaluate your house - how much capacity do you need - and add some, since you live in a cold place. Are you married? Do the TWO of you want a nice-looking stove, or pure function? Even after you narrow it down, there are so many good choices out there. I wish you well, amigo.

Brian, What model Harman do you have now and what are it's specs? Since you know that this one is not doing the job you need from it, it provides a good measure for where you need to go. If you haven't used a wood stove before, it's important to understand the limitations of any wood stove, the first being that they all are basically space heaters, not like a furnace for the whole house. Heat distribution throughout a house is very difficult (many, many, threads here on that subject) unless the house is very open with no hallways, etc. Fortunately, your house sounds well built and insulated. It would also be helpful to know the basic layout of the house.

It would be unfortunate if a new wood stove ended up being unsatisfactory, also, so please choose carefully. Lots of very experienced advise around here so you're in the right place.

Edit: I re-read your post. Sorry, I see that you have lots of experience running stoves so you know the drill with them. I'd be most interested to learn why that pellet stove is not sufficient. Must just be undersized, I suppose. Hopefully, it can find new life in your garage if you don't sell it.

FWIW, It seems that BK cat's are pretty popular in the northern parts.

Man, my hydro bill is going to skyrocket here
Just curious. What are your electric rates up there? Are you on a public utility or private? That makes a huge difference down here even though the whole region is predominately hydroelectric from Bonneville.

Monosperma -Sure, come on up. Bring some pellets LOL
When I am old and unable to get wood, I have a son that I will send out to get wood for me, or, there is always the option of buying wood and supporting the young kids willing to do hard manual labour for a few bucks.
I have talked with the people at the stove store, and, I think that I have decided to go with a non-cat stove. I am actually having a company come in to do a home energy audit (they actually just called and were in the area, but, being on grave yard last night, I was dead asleep and missed both calls).
I am married, and are both interested in more heat, looks are not the #1 decision maker.

Sprinter - I have a Harman accentra insert. Quick specs are, 42,000 BTUs — heats 800 to 2,200 square feet, based on climate and home efficiency. My home is around 1800 sq. ft. so, in my opinion, not nearly big or powerful enough LOL.
The heat distribution should be pretty easy. The fireplace will be in the living room on the main floor, with the dining room and living room on the other side of the wall with two big door ways able to let the warm air through. The laundry room is down a small hall way, and will be looking on how to get heat down there. The 3 three bedrooms are just up the stairs that is right off of the living room, and, a ceiling fan at the stairwell opening.
We are on a "provincially owned" hydro grid. No options of power companies. We are on a 2 step rate plan. Step 1: 1376 kW.h @ $0.06800 /kW.h. Step 2: 467 kW.h @ $0.10190 /kW.h

Monosperma -Sure, come on up. Bring some pellets LOL
When I am old and unable to get wood, I have a son that I will send out to get wood for me, or, there is always the option of buying wood and supporting the young kids willing to do hard manual labour for a few bucks.
I have talked with the people at the stove store, and, I think that I have decided to go with a non-cat stove. I am actually having a company come in to do a home energy audit (they actually just called and were in the area, but, being on grave yard last night, I was dead asleep and missed both calls).
I am married, and are both interested in more heat, looks are not the #1 decision maker.

Sprinter - I have a Harman accentra insert. Quick specs are, 42,000 BTUs — heats 800 to 2,200 square feet, based on climate and home efficiency. My home is around 1800 sq. ft. so, in my opinion, not nearly big or powerful enough LOL.
The heat distribution should be pretty easy. The fireplace will be in the living room on the main floor, with the dining room and living room on the other side of the wall with two big door ways able to let the warm air through. The laundry room is down a small hall way, and will be looking on how to get heat down there. The 3 three bedrooms are just up the stairs that is right off of the living room, and, a ceiling fan at the stairwell opening.
We are on a "provincially owned" hydro grid. No options of power companies. We are on a 2 step rate plan. Step 1: 1376 kW.h @ $0.06800 /kW.h. Step 2: 467 kW.h @ $0.10190 /kW.h
Wow, that is a beautiful looking insert, and expensive, too! (broken link removed to http://www.harmanstoves.com/Products/Accentra-Pellet-Insert.aspx) A shame that it isn't working out for you. BTU specs are notoriously misleading, so I don't know what to think about that, but it does sound too low for you if you need it for nearly full time heating. Personally, I'd hate to part with that if supplemental electric heat would not be too expensive. Your rates seem pretty modest, actually.

I'm curious about that heat audit. I've never done that. Are you paying for one from an independent, or will they be trying to sell you something? I'm very skeptical about "free" audits and estimates, etc. Too often they are a way to hard-sell an expensive product. Not saying that's the case here, but please be careful if it is. A legitimate energy audit sounds like a good idea, though.

We are thinking of not parting with it, but, to have it re-installed in a back corner of the house, or in the garage, and use it only part time to keep that end of the house warm. The hydro rates aren't that bad actually, but, having to run the pellet stove, the fan to circulate and some base boards, it is more expensive these past two months than I have ever paid, and, seeing it only getting more.
The energy audit is an independent company suggested by our hydro company. October was "power smart" month. With this audit, that costs $150, they will give us incentive savings on home improvements, windows, doors, fridges, any energy savings devices...
The hydro company or the audit company will make no more money after the audit is done. They will do a draft test on the house, check for any heat loss. Look in the attic for adequate insulation and check the walls/wall temp for insulation. At the end of the survey, they will give suggestions as to what can be done to save energy and keep the house comfy. The company will not be trying to sell us anything, and, they will not "refer" us to any contractors or brands.

Perfect. Sounds like a good plan. That's really a nice stove. Let us know what you end up doing.

You bet I will. I will keep it documented on here and keep every one posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.