GMO Corn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodnomore

Oct 3, 2019
Central MN
This is a true story, sad but true. I have a coworker who is a greenie, calls himself a vegan but eats tuna only for the protein he says. He asked me if I was concerned about using GMO corn to heat my house. I explained that I am so offended by GMO corn I am buying it by the ton to destroy it and save our mother the earth.

;lol

Haven't a clue what variety of corn I'm burning, all I know is it was free and I have a lot of it. 8000 pounds be exact, well, about 6000 pounds now. Roasted about a ton already. Should have at least 1 ton left over for next winter but I'll probably get an additional couple tons then.

Last year I ended up with a nice mix of purple and yellow corn. Farmer asked before he dumped in the wagon if it was ok, told him I wasn't prejudiced, I burn all colors of corn. Didn't notice a bit of difference.
Now I just need to figure out how to get the corn free like SidecarFlip. Really can't complain though paid $3.40 a bushel this year.

That is an excellent price for medium dent. Coop price here as of Friday was $4.26 per bushel, old crop 15%RM.

Mine isn't exactly free. The row crop farmer I get mine from buys hay from me (round bales) and I give him a good price (I still make money on them) but I don't gouge at all like most haysellers do, plus I store his rounds in my Clearspan storage building for hin no charge so I get corn for the stove and my steers from him.

Been doing that for about 5 years now. Works really well.

If I was younger, I'd build a round bale furnace like they use in Europe and heat the house and all my hot water with it. I think that is a neat idea and a 4 x 6 round will last almost a month with a controlled burn.

Do the next best thing however.

controlled burn
Put on a thermostat, low and slow.
In the 80s I toured a grain elevator that had some innovative grain handling and drying. Heated with wood, corn stalks, or bean stubble. Forklift in a tree trunk, round bale of stalks or stubble, low and slow, cook 10,000 bushel.

What was wrong with the 8000lb (120bu) of corn. Must have been a reason.

What was wrong with the 8000lb (120bu) of corn. Must have been a reason.

Actually 150 bushel and change. Corn at 15% RM is about 53-56 pounds per bushel. Nothing at all. Just fine. My steers eat it too, just like the stove does. This corn is probably 12% however.

Of you read my previous comment you'll understand how and why I get it. I'm very lucky to have that arrangement, but then, if I didn't, I'd probably just run pellets and propane. At $218 a ton pellets and propane are just about equal with maybe propane getting the edge slightly. I keep 800 gallons of propane on hand all the time anyway. I own the bottles and fill them in the summer when the price is low.

Tractor shop is heated with propane (floor heat) anyway. Nothing beats a warm floor.

Put on a thermostat, low and slow.
In the 80s I toured a grain elevator that had some innovative grain handling and drying. Heated with wood, corn stalks, or bean stubble. Forklift in a tree trunk, round bale of stalks or stubble, low and slow, cook 10,000 bushel.

Put the bale in the steel tank and control the combustion air with a steel water tube jacket and viola, hot water heat. Like I said, if I was younger, maybe. Not now, too old and I have a pretty good deal already (other than having to clean out the stove twice a week).

Don't have to be bailed hay either. Round baled combined wheat straw would be just as good and probably even cheaper per bale as it's considered surplus material anyway.