GM60 or Heritage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am not sure they sell Woodstocks in Canada. If not, that also limits the availabilty there. They do not warehouse on the west coast so shipping here is very expensive.
I don't know either

I agree with almost all you said excepted : on a few almost new stoves the hinge's holding plates weared in the few months of the first year, maybe a bad parts batche ??? But exactly as you said, the material for those parts in very soft and the latches one are not much better.
I don't know I work on quite a few hearthstones and yes the hinge pins wear into the cast iron but that takes time and the latches havnt been a big issue if I lubricate them and adjust them yearly

I don't know I work on quite a few hearthstones and yes the hinge pins wear into the cast iron but that takes time and the latches havnt been a big issue if I lubricate them and adjust them yearly
The newer Hearthstone stoves have sort of pins helded by a small square plates and it's that soft metal plate that wear rapidly. Lot of cheaper stoves have better and simpler hinges and latche than Hearthstone and witch cost more than the double of the price. For one exemple a Drolet stove has much more durable and simpler ones.

The newer Hearthstone stoves have sort of pins helded by a small square plates and it's that soft metal plate that wear rapidly. Lot of cheaper stoves have better and simpler hinges and latche than Hearthstone and witch cost more than the double of the price. For one exemple a Drolet stove has much more durable and simpler ones.
Yes I know the stoves. I work on many. And yes I agree they are not as durable as many others but in my experience it is not as bad as you are making it out to be.

I love the modern design of the GM60. House is going to be more industrial modern so I think it’ll look good with that design. My husband on the other hand loves the look of soap stone and that he can get the heritage in a color vs black.

How do you feel about Jotul F45 or F55? I really liked the design/look of the GM60 but glad we decided on the F55.

I wish more manufacturers would go that clean and simple router rather than ornate.

How do you feel about Jotul F45 or F55? I really liked the design/look of the GM60 but glad we decided on the F55.

I wish more manufacturers would go that clean and simple router rather than ornate.
They are both good heaters with a solid, simple design. They differ from the GM series in that they are steel stoves at heart with a cast iron jacket and they are non-cats.

The Jotul F45 is not what we are looking for visually. The F55 unfortunately only has a HHV of 67% so it would not be a part of the 26% tax credit which the 2 hearthstones are covered.

The Jotul F45 is not what we are looking for visually. The F55 unfortunately only has a HHV of 67% so it would not be a part of the 26% tax credit which the 2 hearthstones are covered.

Ouch! 67%? Get with the program.

They are both good heaters with a solid, simple design. They differ from the GM series in that they are steel stoves at heart with a cast iron jacket and they are non-cats.
what stove would you recommend for novices? Since this is our first home and we are building it from scratch we want something that will last and aesthetically look modern.

How will the stove be used? Nights and weekends or 24/7 heating for 4-5 months a year? What is more important, simple and durable or the tax credit? How large an area will the stove be heating or how large a room if it is closed off by doorways? How well insulated will the home be? Is this for Charlotte, NC?

How will the stove be used? Nights and weekends or 24/7 heating for 4-5 months a year? What is more important, simple and durable or the tax credit? How large an area will the stove be heating or how large a room if it is closed off by doorways? How well insulated will the home be? Is this for Charlotte, NC?

It'll be used nights/weekends. Yes this is for Charlotte so most likely 2-4 months out of the year. It'll be heating a 1400 sq ft room. We definitely want something that will be part of the tax credit and the home will be well insulated as it'll be a new construction.

How high will the ceiling be? So far it sounds like you will either need to go small or get a stove that can go low and slow. While searching, take a look at the Blaze King Sirocco and Chinook, Lopi (Travis) Evergreen and Rockport, Regency F2500 and the MF Fire Nova2

Last edited:
I was on the same search about a year ago. The only other stove I would consider modern looking is this Osburn

If you're building new you can do a modern concrete poured hearth or something similar. No idea if that will qualify for the credit, but what are we talking about here $500 in savings? Seems like small potatoes when talking about going into a new build..

Otherwise, you'll have to import something like a Jotul F 105 from Europe. :p

For the GM60, if you're looking to light it cold a lot (evening fires), I would look elsewhere. Most of the complaints I've read are on cold startups. I really like the stove and it would have fit perfectly, but I don't want smoke pouring into my house every time I go to light it up.

How high will the ceiling be? So far it sounds like you will either need to go small or get a stove that can go low and slow. While searching, take a look at the Blaze King Sirocco and Chinook, Lopi (Travis) Evergreen and Rockport, Regency F2500 and the MF Fire Nova2

ceilings are 10ft with 11ft tray in the living room

ceilings are 10ft with 11ft tray in the living room
If the house is going to be well insulated, then in Charlotte, the heating requirements will not be high. The MF Fire Nova is a simpler stove to operate. If getting the tax credit is essential then that stove or the Blaze King Sirocco. are worth considering. The GM60 may also work out, but there is little data to say how well.

Last edited: