Glass in Wood Burning Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LCatRich

Dec 29, 2017
McKinney, Tx
we recently bought a house with a wood burning stove and we love it. Today the glass in one of the doors broke. It is cracked all the way through but still in the door. Would the stove still be safe to use? Is there any danger in burning a wood stove with the doors open? What kind of glass is in the stove and where can we buy a replacement? Thank you!

Here is a pic of our stove. I have no idea what kind it is!

Attachments

• Glass in Wood Burning Stove
    CDB9A9F3-6BF7-4F01-A726-98DAEC9114EE.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 375
I would not burn it with cracked glass nor would I burn it with the doors open unless there is a spark screen that fits in the opening. Is there a tag on the back of the stove?

I wouldn't run with a cracked glass. If it decides to crack farther or fall out while your not in the room disastrous results are sure to follow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I wouldn't run a stove with cracked glass . . . or left wide open (unless it has a spark screen . . . and even then I don't think I would due to the loss of efficiency.)

Many folks here have had good luck with onedayglass.com.

ceramic glass is needed, not regular glass, also check to see of a local shop has a piece that can be cut (you may get lucky) if they do, take the door with you to the shop. How did the glass break?

I'm seeing Pyroceram, Neoceram, KeraLite Pyroceram III. Not sure what the differences are..

I'm seeing Pyroceram, Neoceram, KeraLite Pyroceram III. Not sure what the differences are..
Those are all brand names of ceramic glass, they all have the same qualities of no expansion if heated or cooled rapidly so you wont get cracking from thermal shock.

Reactions: LCatRich
Property Pyroceram Glass® NeoCeram Glass® Robax Glass® Tempered Glass
Heat Resistance – Short Term 1472 degree F 1472 degree F 1400 degree F 572 degree F
Heat Resistance – Continuous 1382 degree F 1382 degree F 1040 degree F 482 degree F
Density 2.5 g/cm3 2.5 g/cm3 2.58 g/cm3 2.6 g/cm3
Thicknesses Available 1/8" 3/16" 1/8" and 3/16" 1/8" to ½"

A picture with the doors closed would help identify it but by the initial look it looks allot more like a coal stove than a wood stove. A wood stove should never supply the air from under the fire.

A picture with the doors closed would help identify it but by the initial look it looks allot more like a coal stove than a wood stove. A wood stove should never supply the air from under the fire.

Really? Why is that? Can we burn wood in a coal stove?

Here is a pic.

Attachments

• Glass in Wood Burning Stove
    A7076A6A-36FC-4845-9AC7-7D1D7E39CF5E.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 188
ceramic glass is needed, not regular glass, also check to see of a local shop has a piece that can be cut (you may get lucky) if they do, take the door with you to the shop. How did the glass break?

Not sure, the glass is actualyPyrex glass according to the 1983 installation information. Might’ve gotten bumped or cracked because of the heat? We’ll be replacing it with ceramic glass

Not sure, the glass is actualyPyrex glass according to the 1983 installation information. Might’ve gotten bumped or cracked because of the heat? We’ll be replacing it with ceramic glass
Time out.. call and get a quote for both doors then decide whether its worth the investment or not, the stove is getting up there in age (35yrs) and there have been leaps in stove technology that offer great heat, nice viewing windows, cleaner burns, longer burns, cleaner chimney and less wood per load for a minimal cost. Plus as @bholler eluded earlier, you might be burning a coal stove which can be done, although not as efficiently.

Really? Why is that? Can we burn wood in a coal stove?

Here is a pic.
I say it looks like a coal stove because the air is introduced under the fire. That is terrible for efficency in a woodstove. But is needed for coal. So your stove is either a coal stove or a very poorly designed wood stove. What is the grate like inside the stove

I say it looks like a coal stove because the air is introduced under the fire. That is terrible for efficency in a woodstove. But is needed for coal. So your stove is either a coal stove or a very poorly designed wood stove. What is the grate like inside the stove
It’s just got holes in it.