Getting a Fair Deal on a New Flue Install w/New Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you can put legos together, you can install a stove. Having certain tools makes it easier, but you could get by with very few tools if you're careful.
Ah, no. I know lots of adults that are wizzes at putting together legos, but are terrible with tools. In the least, it also takes some basic mechanical, tool and carpentry skills and good planning and problem solving at times. Unfortunately, we regularly see people here with problems because they haven't planned well or poorly executed the work either due to lack of info/understanding or corner cutting and rushing the work.

It's the building inspector that needs to know the local ordinances. He signs off on your permit saying all is in order.
Yes and the local ordinance apparently says the install needs to be done by a pro.

Total cost quoted for the pipe was just shy of $2800, plus $1300 for the install (not including the hearth pad or any hardware).

I'd look for another quote or two. I don't know the economics of your area or your situation, but $4100 for a straightforward install of a chimney seems excessive.

Sounds like there may be a little wink wink going on between the city, local code writers, and the recognized "pros".

Similar to the HVAC industry being the largest lobby for EPA licensing of refrigerant technicians.

Similar to the HVAC industry being the largest lobby for EPA licensing of refrigerant technicians.
Actually most local ordinances like this are put in place due to lobbying by fire companies. The number of people who diy chimney work is so small it really doesn't effect the market for pros much at all.

I'd look for another quote or two. I don't know the economics of your area or your situation, but $4100 for a straightforward install of a chimney seems excessive.

Yeah, I'm looking around right now. It doesn't seem urgent since it's 85 degrees right now, but I know I'll be glad I didn't put it off next October when everyone is backed up.