Gas and Wood same chimney, different flues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

barbarabate

Hearth Supporter
Nov 30, 2007
Maine
Also posted in the "Gas" Forum….

We have a center chimney Cape built in the mid-1800's. Our chimney is tiled lined. We had chimney inspected recently and all tiles are in great shape. We have three separate flues and decided to dedicate one flue to a wood stove insert about 5 years ago. When installing, we opted to have a stainless liner installed up the length of the chimney for the wood stove. We have a working fire place in the adjoining room (other side) which has it's own flue. Can we put in LP logs or is this a no-no? Our oil furnace is connected to the third flue. Thanks!!

It is no problem as long as the clay is in good shape.

Funny, when I bought my house in 1985 the gas furnace was vented through a 1932 red brick chimney, no liner of any sort. There was a woodstove sharing the same unlined chimney. Things could have been bad.

Funny, when I bought my house in 1985 the gas furnace was vented through a 1932 red brick chimney, no liner of any sort. There was a woodstove sharing the same unlined chimney. Things could have been bad.
We see that pretty often not uncommon at all but still not safe.

We see that pretty often not uncommon at all but still not safe.
I actually removed the chimney and it is now a cold air return raceway. Moved the furnace 3" PVC pipe now to the furnace for outside air (yes, your furnace needs it too) and chimney. Moved the stove to the otherwise unused fireplace on the main floor.