Frozen Slip Section of Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Parallax

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Just recently purchased a new stove. Begreen and others helped me figure out what I wanted and I went with a Pacific Energy T5 in brown enamel. Last week, I drove up to Canada and took a ferry to Vancouver Island to pick it up. Now it's in the back of my pickup truck. Some friends are showing up tonight to help me move it into the house and into position.

So in preparation, I cleaned my stove pipe. When cleaning it, I noticed that the slip section is frozen in place. It's a Selkirk double-walled 6 inch pipe. As hard as I tugged on it, could not get it to move. It's been in that position since the old stove came out, which was probably around two years ago.

Can anyone help me figure out how to get it unfrozen? Thanks.

I had a pipe like that last year. It tried my patience. Try clapping your hands on the opposite sides of the pipe along the upper section. Do this in multiple positions to see if you can break the friction. It took several tries for me before if finally started moving.

Reactions: Parallax
I had a pipe like that last year. It tried my patience. Try clapping your hands on the opposite sides of the pipe along the upper section. Do this in multiple positions to see if you can break the friction. It took several tries for me before if finally started moving.
Thanks. Managed to get it to free up. It has various drill holes from the old installation so I think I'm going to replace it. It's a 36 inch slip section of double walled Selkirk pipe. Do you know if it's possible to get a longer slip section? My new stove is a couple of inches shorter than the old one so it would be great if I could get it 38 or 40 inches long.