FPX large hybrid insert or Regency ci2600- which would you recommend?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clydesdale

Mar 8, 2016
New York
They both appear to fit. Which of these two stoves would you recommend? Thanks for your help. I will be getting an insulated liner and having a block off plate installed. The downstairs of the house is about 1600 sqft.

A couple observations...Combustor on the Regency looks better-protected, and they say you can use a 5.5" liner.

A couple observations...Combustor on the Regency looks better-protected, and they say you can use a 5.5" liner.

Thanks for that. I think the FPX may have a variable speed fan instead of just a high and low setting. The regency claims 14hr burn and FPX 12. But, the Regency claims seem to be very debatable.

I'm heating 1900 sq.ft. in CT with FPX for third year. I wouldn't pay attention to advertised burning times .Happy with my insert so far. If installed right with dry wood will do the job.It is a good looking unit. Did you see FPX and Regency in person?

I'm heating 1900 sq.ft. in CT with FPX for third year. I wouldn't pay attention to advertised burning times .Happy with my insert so far. If installed right with dry wood will do the job.It is a good looking unit. Did you see FPX and Regency in person?
I have seen the regency, but not the FPX. I like the regency, but have had great difficulty finding a dealer, so i started looking at a backup and came across the FPX. How many settings are on the fan?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen the regency, but not the FPX. I like the regency, but have had great difficulty finding a dealer, so i started looking at a backup and came across the FPX. How many settings are on the fan?
You can dial any speed you want or shut it off. My wife uses it all the time and sets speed appropriate to what she feels is needed ;). There is many faceplates and surrounds to choose from so you can find something that fits your décor.

You can dial any speed you want or shut it off. My wife uses it all the time and sets speed appropriate to what she feels is needed ;). There is many faceplates and surrounds to choose from so you can find something that fits your décor.
Thanks for the info. I live in NY, right across the CT border. Did you get an insulated liner and install a block off plate? I have not heard as many disappointed users with this stove as there were for the Regency. So, I am really starting to lean toward this unit. But, need the right installation.

After reading this forum I went with insulated double wall smooth liner and don't regret it. I had a very little of creosote buildup . Next to none. The unit burns extremely clean but I think insulated liner helps.So, don't listen to installers that say you don't need it. Same with block off plate. Do it when installing, do it right. I've skipped on it when installing, planned to do it later. It's been three years..... I have crazy amount of Roxul staffed up to the chimney around liner , though. I hope I will find time to do it this year. You can insulate the firebox around insert with Roxull as well. Do you have interior or exterior chimney?

After reading this forum I went with insulated double wall smooth liner and don't regret it. I had a very little of creosote buildup . Next to none. The unit burns extremely clean but I think insulated liner helps.So, don't listen to installers that say you don't need it. Same with block off plate. Do it when installing, do it right. I've skipped on it when installing, planned to do it later. It's been three years..... I have crazy amount of Roxul staffed up to the chimney around liner , though. I hope I will find time to do it this year. You can insulate the firebox around insert with Roxull as well. Do you have interior or exterior chimney?
I have an exterior chimney. One installer I spoke with today stated that he does not like insulated liners, that he insulates the top and bottom of the chimney and that is plenty. He also stated that he like a corrugated liner because it flexes and doesn't allow creosote to build up. There is so much variation in this industry it scares me. Were you happy with your installer and are you close to Danbury?
Also, what is the fan cord like? I see there is some sort of wiring kit. Is there a way to not have the cord run along the hearth to an outlet?

Last edited:
I'm 30 min from Danbury. Why in a word he doesn't like insulated liner? In case with exterior chimney it's a must. I've opted out to install the insert myself mostly because of installers like yours and outrageous prices for subpar liners they charge. Ask your guy if he ever heard of flexible liner with smooth walls . I got my kit online.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x-15-Smoo...224859?hash=item540beb549b:g:mj4AAOxypthRsMnX

What is the height of your chimney? Is you roof walkable ?

Ask your guy if he ever heard of flexible liner with smooth walls
There have been several reports here of the two-ply liners separating, so I got a single-ply, HomeSaver Heavy Duty Roundflex. It's heavy but with only 16', my nephew and I were able to pull it up from the bottom.

You can't walk the roof. The chimney will need a 35ft kit. Any thoughts on the wiring kit for the fan? Is there just a wire running along the hearth or can this be wired where you don't see it?

Home Saver is a brand of liner that one of the installer was going to use.

Last edited:
The wire next to the unit would not look good to me .Its a flush unit and looks like real fireplace , the wire would not be approved by my designer/wife. I have wired it trough the ash window in masonry fireplace from basement. It has option of wiring it on left or right side which didnt matter in my case.

The wire next to the unit would not look good to me .Its a flush unit and looks like real fireplace , the wire would not be approved by my designer/wife. I have wired it trough the ash window in masonry fireplace from basement. It has option of wiring it on left or right side which didnt matter in my case.
My ash window leads to outside. I do have basement, but the window goes to outside. Did you just plug it into an outlet in your basement or is there some other wiring kit involved?
I have an outlet outside near the ash window clean out door. Could I just plug it in to that outlet during the winter months and then put the cord back into the clean out area during the off season? Or is it allowed to drill a hole into the basement from inside the ash clean out?

The appliance needs to be plugged into an outlet in the room for servicing. An alternative is to have the outlet switched from within the room.

The appliance needs to be plugged into an outlet in the room for servicing. An alternative is to have the outlet switched from within the room.
Can you clarify? I see some people end up with an outlet inside the fireplace. This does not seem like it would be allowed. But, somehow, people are getting their set ups to where you don't have a cord protruding into the room. The FPX large hybrid brochure shows no wires and they state that they have a wiring kit. I called one dealer and he stated that they can go out an ash window into a basement.

Electric code requires this. Brochure photos are often photoshopped. If the cord is routed through the ash dump then the outlet is supposed to have a service switch in the room. This is to avoid harm while servicing the blower components. It's been covered in several other threads including a couple within the past month.

I've ended up with getting heavy duty extension and running it trough the ash damp from the basement . Then I just plugged the insert in. When cleaning or servicing blowers you can remove surround and disconnect it . The cord runs next to the side of fireplace and separated from insert by Roxul and leftover insulation from liner , so it's pretty safe, I think . The side areas of insert is not getting that hot anyway.

My ash window leads to outside. I do have basement, but the window goes to outside. Did you just plug it into an outlet in your basement or is there some other wiring kit involved?
I have an outlet outside near the ash window clean out door. Could I just plug it in to that outlet during the winter months and then put the cord back into the clean out area during the off season? Or is it allowed to drill a hole into the basement from inside the ash clean out?
Do you want to do it yourself or planning to hire someone ?

That's one reason I went with FPX, b/c you won't see the hideous wires. Also, the fan is variable speed and when remotely mounted you barely hear anything, very quiet.

That's one reason I went with FPX, b/c you won't see the hideous wires. Also, the fan is variable speed and when remotely mounted you barely hear anything, very quiet.
How do you remotely mount the fan?

The variable speed fan is a big plus. I will be going with the FPX for a few different reasons.

Last edited:
His situation is different , he's got FPX fireplace. his wiring and everything else built from the scratch around it . You are fitting insert in existing fireplace. I would hire electrician and put outlet in fireplace

Last edited:
Yes, for my electrical I tapped into the previous ZC outlet in the fireplace, then tiled/marbled over it, so that way everything was hidden. Also, I put the FPX fan/blower ~6ft. away in the chase, but you can also put in a vented crawl space (or as far away as you can), and you will hardly hear anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.