Forced air distubution opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Xv20190

Jan 31, 2018
Indiana
I have a valcourt zero clearance fireplace installed in my house. It puts out good heat but it cools down the kids rooms a bit to much while they are asleep and the doors are closed and allows the master bedroom upstairs to be cooler(while not as imperative to keep warm it would be nice to). I was looking into an add on valcourt sells that is for forced air distribution. Would in be worth it to pipe it into the whole house air distubution or just make it's own couple of registers in the 2 kids rooms?

I have an ecobee 4 that controls my lp furnace. It will take some more research but my current plan is to set it up as a 2 stage system and have the fireplace blower be the stage 1 output and the furnace kick on as stage 2 if It needs to. I am more than open to suggestions on all of that as well.

I think separate registers makes more sense. What would the total cost of materials be? Two 500w electric space heaters running 50% duty cycle for 8 hours during the night would cost 15$ a month by my math.
We put a fan on the floor at the end of the bedroom hallway blowing towards the stove with doors open. Al the bedrooms are 5 degrees colder that the rest of the house. The kids like their fleece pjs and big comforters. As do I. Wel maybe not the fleece part.
Evan

I have considered that but my coils are outside and 1/3 of the duct work is in the crawlspace. Seems like a less than ideal situation for me. I will temporarily raise the thermostat while burning to help spread the heat heat. Some how working the system that’s way makes me feel better. Flipping a switch is easier than splitting wood and I think that has something to do with it.
I just use the recirc mode on my furnace to spread out the heat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kids are 2 and 6 months. And the infant is the big reason I'm concerned. I'm not a huge fan of heaters in there rooms and doors open at night is not an option for me. Check out doors closed vs open in a house fire on google.

CO alarms and ducting system direct from the insert seems like the best plan. I think keeping the HVAC and stove systems separate might heat allow for better temp control in the rooms as you could adjust blower speed. Our kids always kicked blankets off once they were old enough to have them. And infants just sleep better when they are nice and warm. So it seems like a good timing.

We ran space heaters in their rooms when they were infants and I never considered the use of a UL list heater as increasing fire risk. Two year olds and anything with a cord is a risk. I can see my 15 month olds eyes twinkling now.

evan.