Flue temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I use a washer style thermometer shoved between the flue collar and the liner adapter. It reacts pretty quickly. I don’t know how the temps here compare to a probe 18” up but I base my behavior on the readings I get. At startup and through the peak I shoot for readings between 350 and 500. It often goes higher and I have the warning alarm come on at 600 to make sure the air is turned down and the fan is running. I suspect any location on the stovetop near the collar to inside the flue 24” up will give you good actionable intelligence as long as you customize your targets to your setup.

Reactions: Sailrmike
I use a washer style thermometer shoved between the flue collar and the liner adapter. It reacts pretty quickly. I don’t know how the temps here compare to a probe 18” up but I base my behavior on the readings I get. At startup and through the peak I shoot for readings between 350 and 500. It often goes higher and I have the warning alarm come on at 600 to make sure the air is turned down and the fan is running. I suspect any location on the stovetop near the collar to inside the flue 24” up will give you good actionable intelligence as long as you customize your targets to your setup.
Agreed. This is the way I probably would set up an insert or perhaps a bit higher, using the band clamp of the adapter to hold the washer tight to the liner. Your readings are not far off from what we run the stove at, which is roughly 400-600º on the probe.

So is it ok to have the flue temp at 400 or so. I had a good load if ash and It cruised the fornmost of the night. I had is shut down almost all the way and it stayed at 400

So is it ok to have the flue temp at 400 or so. I had a good load if ash and It cruised the fornmost of the night. I had is shut down almost all the way and it stayed at 400
Yes

I have my new PE Summit set up this way with an Auber. I am still trying to figure out safe and proper temps . The big thing I always wonder is, what is the temperature difference measured the way I am versus flue probe installed at 18” or 24” up?
I guess I could donate an Auber to one of you that has a probe option and we could real time test it:)

I have my new PE Summit set up this way with an Auber. I am still trying to figure out safe and proper temps . The big thing I always wonder is, what is the temperature difference measured the way I am versus flue probe installed at 18” or 24” up?
I guess I could donate an Auber to one of you that has a probe option and we could real time test it:)

I own an auber probe meter for my single wall pipe and I also have an Ir temperature gun. What I have found is that it’s not a linear difference and there is a delay between spikes inside the pipe and when the outside of the pipe warms up in response.

In general the inside temps are about double the surface temps. The inside a little hotter than that though.

On edit: I should have been more clear that the surface of the single wall flue at 18” is about half of the interior flue gas temperatures at 18” per the probe meter. I sometimes run the stove at over 700 degrees stove top temperature and I sure hope my interior flue gases aren’t at 1400!

Last edited:
Reactions: WoodScrounger
I just did a test on the T6 for reference. The stove was in the later coaling stage, so not too hot. I turned up the air to get the flue temp up to 500º. An IR reading taken off the flue collar read 253º. I will leave the IR thermometer out and will try to remember to test again with higher flue temps after reloading later. For a surface reading, it looks like you can roughly double the surface reading for an approximation of the flue gas temp. This echoes Highbeam's reading. The other alternative, if there is a stainless liner adapter going into the insert, is to switch to a probe thermometer and insert it into the stainless adapter.

Checked again with a hotter, 625ºSTT stove. I got a reading of 374º on the flue collar with a probe temp of 660º.