Flue temp, smoke and creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
With a fire like this my tempsnare good but I still get a little smoke. I'm unsure how to fix it

Attachments

• Flue temp, smoke and creosote
    20201231_174141.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 92
I wouldn't get to worked up over a small amount of smoke. Your active flame looks under control nicely. If your heat requirement is met you look to be burning at a rather efficient rate in my opinion.

I don’t know if I am seeing right in the pic but it looks to me like you could give it more air. What is the temp of the stove? It needs to be hot enough to burn all the gasses. If it’s not hot enough it won’t happen. The secondaries won’t sustain and you will have smoke coming out of your stack.

Mine is a little insert . It was given to me so I used it but I wish I would have gone with a newer unit. It only has one secondary tube but the door. I don't think it does much. I can play with and get it to run on secondary with a little flame from the wood but the fire goes out about 5 minutes later.
Use ur COVID tax advance to buy a new one!