Flue damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DaveNY49

Jun 3, 2024
New York
Does the Fisher Teddy Bear require a pipe damper? I’m not finding info in the manual and I’ve been hearing conflicting things from people. Some say No, while others say YES. And some have said a flue damper is required for when using the stove with the screen on to watch the fire.

Any help?

I would say that depends on the flue height and other conditions (does it have a baffle) of the install.

With the doors open,I would think you need a larger diameter flue rather than an effectively smaller one (just like a fireplace needs a larger flue cross section than a stove because more air goes in, so more has to go up the flue).

I would say that depends on the flue height and other conditions (does it have a baffle) of the install.

With the doors open,I would think you need a larger diameter flue rather than an effectively smaller one (just like a fireplace needs a larger flue cross section than a stove because more air goes in, so more has to go up the flue).
Yes it has a baffle and calls for a 7 inch pipe. My pipe coming off my stove will go up 4 feet through a roof and then another 3 feet

at 7 ft flue height and a baffle, The chances of needing a damper are low imo. Even for an old stove like this.
But you could install, see how it runs, and add a pipe damper later?

at 7 ft flue height and a baffle, The chances of needing a damper are low imo. Even for an old stove like this.
But you could install, see how it runs, and add a pipe damper later?
Well, I’d like to stay away from having. To add one at all lol. But wanted to check first. Let me pick your brain on my other stove ok? Bigger stove, has a baffle, takes 8 inch pipe. The amount of pipe I’ll have coming off the top is about 7-8 feet to the cap outside. Damper needed? Prob not

I meant install the stove, see how it runs. It's easy to add a damper later.

The other stove I'd say the same.

My experience does not include stoves of this type tho...

I meant install the stove, see how it runs. It's easy to add a damper later.

The other stove I'd say the same.

My experience does not include stoves of this type tho...
Someone was telling me having a damper and leaving it open but having it incase if a chimney fire was helpful. So I can instantly kill air to the pipe. But, if I clean my pipes I don’t have to worry about a fire. And I will be cleaning my pipes from inside the stoves straight up with a spinning brush that attaches to a drill. If I have a damper (even wide open) it creates a spot that is hard for the brush to get around AND the damper is a place for creo to build up. Hmmmm.

A damper is not a safety device in this sense.
It won't kill the air; they don't completely close. Moreover in case of a chimney fire the draft that creates will be so large that the fire in the stove will become a forge even with a damper.

Best to avoid having a chimney fire by burning clean (dry and not smoldering).

In general terms the answer is usually yes, a pipe damper is recommended. It helps to slow down the flue gases on these stoves for more complete combustion. Adding a baffle will also help.
While closing the key damper will slow down a fire, it will not completely snuff out a fire. They still allow about 25% of the flue gases to pass. Complete closure would be dangerous.