Flue colours? White?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

JohnB2416

Oct 8, 2024
North East
Hi All,

First post, apologies if I don’t make a lot of sense as I’m totally clueless when it comes to this subject! We are looking to install a Contira 810g in White. Our installer has advised using a black flue instead of powder coated white to match the stove inside and then black outside. The reason being he’s indicated the white flue may blacken over time with use and look unsightly. Does anyone have any experience of this? It’s not a massive problem to go for black as the stove already has black as part of the design. But I think for the look we are going for white would be best. Appreciate any advice or experience with this and apologies again if I’ve posted this incorrectly!

[Hearth.com] Flue colours? White?

Stove pipe which is what you use inside is normally black, class a pipe which is used outside is normally stainless. Do not use black pipe outside, it will not last very long.

The northeast is a pretty big area, you would have to be more specific. An installer from Connecticut isn't going to Maine.

Aha - I’m based in the UK! Maybe ought to have mentioned that up front! I worked for a summer near Framingham so know only well enough how far some of those distances are. Installer recommendations aren’t going to be relevant but would still appreciate some advice on the colour issue if anyone has experience?!

They stopped selling (for the most part) color matched pipe in the US. Jotul did for a while. It’s probably twice the cost of black. If installed correctly it won’t get soot stains. But if over fired it could change color. Is it painted or enameled? How will you sweep the pipe? Must it be disassembled?

There are plenty of white stove pipe available in Europe.
I don't know about it discoloring - not many forum members here are in Europe, so experience here is unlikely to be of major help for this particular question.

There are plenty of white stove pipe available in Europe.
I don't know about it discoloring - not many forum members here are in Europe, so experience here is unlikely to be of major help for this particular question.
Yes, this appears to be referring to the UK, maybe NE London?