Flashing Suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Two true stories about our local lumber yard hardware store.

I am on my third home remodel in ten years. I have spent at least 120K there in that time. I am having windows delivered, so I call and ask if they can throw 3 straight 2X6X16 boards on the truck. They show up warped, and I need straight for the roof overbuild.

I figure I will use them somewhere as blocking or something and I drive the 25 miles to the store. I pay for 3 more board and drive around back to pick them up. I am told that I have to take the first 3 boards in the stack regardless of condition. Store policy. I explain that I had spend 12K in the last thirty days there and think they can sell me the boards I need. Nope. I tell them to f off, call the cops if they want and pick out 3 boards and leave.

Another time I need 9+' long 2X6's and drive in. They are out of 10' boards, so I say I'll take 16' boards if they will cut them so I can haul them. No problem at the counter. I go around to the yard and explain the problem to the yard man. He tells me his panel saw will only cut up to 8' boards. I explain the math to him, and he shows me the tape measure on the saw. He insists he cannot cut a board over 8'. This goes on for a while until I slap myself on the forehead and say I screwed up. I reallly need 6' boards. The yard man tells me he can do that, and proceeds to cut the 6' boards. When he fininshes, I try to show him I now have 10' boards, but he cannot grasp the concept.

Reactions: CenterTree
For years I worked as a contractor on the WSU campus in Pullman WA. I parked anywhere and everywhere. Then the powers that be at WSU decided they wanted better control over contractor parking, and we had to get temporary parking permits prior to beginning work.

The various lots on campus had reflective stickers that varied in color and the more permanent parkers were required to purchase a reflective sticker. If you had a red sticker, you could park in certain designated lots. The same held true for other colors. The farther out the parking, the cheaper the sticker. Parking cops would drive through the lots at night and hit the windshields with a spotlight. If they did not get the appropiate reflective flash, they would ticket the vehicle.

My first trip in for a temporary parking permit devolved quickly. There was a woman sitting at a counter and above her head was a large sign that said, "Lot Flashers Apply Here." I went up to her and said I wished to apply for the job. She asked what job, and I pointed to the sign and stated I had all the right equipment and could provide my own rubbers and raincoat. She turned beet red and started stammering. Another woman next to her butted in and said rubbers and a raincoat were not the only equipment required. She said she had to examine mine before I could be hired.

Luckily it was winter and I started piling clothing on the counter. It was a matter of seeing who would blink first. I was saved by the beet red woman yelling, "Stop!"

Another time I need 9+' long 2X6's and drive in. They are out of 10' boards, so I say I'll take 16' boards if they will cut them so I can haul them. No problem at the counter. I go around to the yard and explain the problem to the yard man. He tells me his panel saw will only cut up to 8' boards. I explain the math to him, and he shows me the tape measure on the saw. He insists he cannot cut a board over 8'. This goes on for a while until I slap myself on the forehead and say I screwed up. I reallly need 6' boards. The yard man tells me he can do that, and proceeds to cut the 6' boards. When he fininshes, I try to show him I now have 10' boards, but he cannot grasp the concept.

Gubment lumber yard by chance? Sound just like minions from our politbureau right out of DC ;)

It's a danger of a business having a captive market and a monopoly on that business. If a jerk is in charge, it tends to pervade the organization below.

Luckily it was winter and I started piling clothing on the counter. It was a matter of seeing who would blink first. I was saved by the beet red woman yelling, "Stop!"

You mean THEY were saved. :p;lol

Reactions: Ludlow