First Time Wood Insert - Looking to Buy a Regency i2450 i2500 or i2700

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blue_Lite

Aug 2, 2024
St. Catharines, Ontario
I am a new member to hearth.com and was hoping to collect some advice with regards to a purchase.

My family is looking to add one or two wood inserts to replace an open fireplace on my main floor and an old wood stove in my basement that did not pass the WETT inspection when we bought our home. I am a first time buyer and have narrowed my choice down to the regency i2450, i2500 or i2701 (all floor models on sale).

We live in Niagara, Ontario, Canada and hope to use the basement insert to help heat the home in the winter and are considering something for the upstairs as the open fireplace is very inefficient.

Are there any concerns buying a floor model that has never been used? Also, I am leaning towards getting the i2450 for the basement as the non cat model seems less complicated with similar burn times / btu/s as the other models (I am considering the i2500 and/or the i2700 as they are being sold at a lower price than the i2450).

I greatly appreciate any advice, experiences, and feedback that the community is able to share.

Thanks in advance.

Sound thinking. The i2450 is a reliable workhorse. The floor model should be fine as long as all parts are there. I'm surprised that the i2450 is being sold at the highest price. The hybrids are more complex models with more parts and the cat.

Reactions: Blue_Lite
Sound thinking. The i2450 is a reliable workhorse. The floor model should be fine as long as all parts are there. I'm surprised that the i2450 is being sold at the highest price. The hybrids are more complex models with more parts and the cat.
Thanks for your reply begreen. I made sure to check that the three options have all the parts and are guaranteed with the normal regency warranty. I was surprised to see the i2500 and i2701 priced lower than the i2450 as well (every store is different I guess..)