Firewood drying by month

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PA452

Jan 8, 2023
PA
Anyone ever try tracking firewood moisture levels by month as it seasons? If so what did you see?

The reason I ask, I prepped nine IBC tote cages of shingle oak back in February and March I guess it was. I wish I'd have checked the moisture levels back when I first split it but I don't think I did. The tree blew down back in the early summer of 2023, but I didn't get to cutting it up and splitting until early this year. It's all stacked in cages and the cages are all sitting on pallets in an open field with some old corrugated metal over the top. I've read oak can take two years to dry, but I'm really hoping to use this stuff this coming winter. The other day I went down there and split a couple pieces to check moisture content. I was consistently getting a reading of 25 on the fresh splits. On the outside of what's been exposed I'm getting readings anywhere from 6 to 12.

Anyway being that we're about to hit September, I'm just wondering what's the likelihood that this stuff will be down to 20% or lower by burning season, which here is most likely mid to late November.

It won't be under 20 in November. Drying speed goes down the drier it is. And weather will be less conducive to drying as well from here on our.