Fireplace Non-Combustible Materials

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stufrus

Mar 14, 2020
Virginia
I am trying to finish off my fireplace surround. I am thinking I need a non-combustible material that would withstand repeated temperatures around 400F.I purchased some Hardiebacker, but - it seems it is only rated to around 210F. Anyone familiar with National code and what a building inspector would accept as a suitable non-combustible cement type board.

I am trying to finish off my fireplace surround. I am thinking I need a non-combustible material that would withstand repeated temperatures around 400F.I purchased some Hardiebacker, but - it seems it is only rated to around 210F. Anyone familiar with National code and what a building inspector would accept as a suitable non-combustible cement type board.
You need to read the msds for the product you are going to use. It should be rated as noncombustible.

I am looking at a Hardiebacker, and Durock product. They both state that they have ASTM E84 & ASTM E136 fire ratings. ASTM E136 uses 1300 F burner to test the product. Well above what my fireplace brick front would ever reach, but the - each product states in their "limitations" not to be used in areas exceeding 210 - 220F. This I do not understand. Do you have insight to this.

Looking at the MSDS for Hardibacker, it appears to be a "safety" sheet. Melt point, Flammability , and Flash Point - all state "Not Applicable". I do not see a fire rating or standard listed.

Ask your local supplier if they have solid cement board.