Finding an insert with a fresh air kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WFJacoby

Aug 6, 2024
Northern Illinois
I'm looking into a wood burning insert for my old gas fireplace. I definitely want a catalytic model, and I really prefer an outdoor air kit.

I currently have a quote for a FireplaceX Large Flush Insert with their NexGen-Hybrid catalytic system.

The only problem is that it is not compatible with any outdoor air kits. I even emailed Travis industries directly to verify this.

My house is 1990s construction in the Chicago area. The windows are original, so I'm sure they are not sealing perfectly anymore. Still, I plan on doing lots of envelope upgrades to this house, so I really would prefer a model with an outdoor air kit. My eventual goal for this house is 100% electric with my wood burning insert for backup heat.

Should I go for this FireplaceX model? I like everything else about it. Or do I keep looking for a model with an outdoor air kit? Another thought I had is getting a powered fresh air intake for my HVAC system to provide filtered makeup air for everything in the house.

Do you have evidence that a fresh air kit is needed? Some inserts that have fresh air do not have a direct connection from the actual stove air intake where the fresh air intake. That means when the insert is not burning any air coming through the inlet just gets dumped in your house.

If you are serious about air sealing to the point you need a fresh air intake you probably will get a blower door test. My gut tells me anything above a ach50 of 4 is fine. Getting below that on a retrofit will be a take some work and make sure you get it in writing from any contractors. Once you get below 4 ahc50 with good insulation you need to be careful about humidity control. And if you are ventilating look into a ventilating dehumidifier.

Air sealing is not the only factor. Do you have any big exhaust fans? How tall is the chimney? What floor is it on?

More information than you asked for. But most of it has some relevance

Are you sure your gas fireplace is even allowed to have a insert installed? Im not sure any are. Even most old wood fireplaces are not allowed to be modified to allow a insert.

^^This^^ What is the make and model of the insert?

Reactions: EbS-P
It is a FireplaceX Large Flush NexGen-Hybrid Insert

As for more house details:
This will be on the main floor. The living room has vaulted ceilings that go all the way up to the second story.

The chimney is probably ~25ft from the top of the fireplace.

The appliances exhausting air will be the kitchen microwave, dryer, bathroom fans, radon system, the basement wood stove, and the main floor insert being discussed here.

The more I think about it, my windows are old enough to leak a bit of air and I don't see myself replacing them anytime soon.

I'm betting a fresh air intake on my HVAC system could probably handle the makeup air for the entire house.

Wrong question on my part, what is the gas fireplace's model and make? Or is this a masonry fireplace with a gas log burner in it? By this description it sounds more like the latter. If so, then it's possible that the homes leakage may provide enough makup air.

You are correct that it is a masonry fireplace that had a gas log added to it at some point.
That makes sense, the initial description of a "gas fireplace" through me off. The PE Summit insert can be set up for outside air if available in the fireplace cavity.