Feedback on my plan to refurb my existing wood-burning fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

orwardfocelot

Sep 8, 2024
United States
Hello! Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I am looking forward to discussing with the forum. Please see photos attached below - they provide some context and a visual draft of what I'd like to do.

For context, we use the fireplace once or twice a year. We'd like to refurb it without replacing the entire firebox, as it would be out of our budget. That said, we'd like to make sure it's safe for the few times we use it.

Here's my proposal.

1. Repair firebox interior w/ refractory cement, and paint fire bricks black with a high temp black paint.
  2. Remove lower [fake] louvers on firebox, and fire curtains. Repaint black to clean up fading/chipping paint.
  3. Remove existing builder-grade mantle. Build out new 6" deep structure around existing firebox using steel studs, cement board, and porcelain tile - all noncombustibles.
  4. Tile structure.

Presence of Combustibles near the Fireplace Opening?

I reviewed residential fireplace code (https://up.codes/viewer/texas/irc-2015/chapter/10/chimneys-and-fireplaces#10) and the only relevant rule I could find was R1001.11, which implies that I can place non-combustibles near the fireplace opening. Is there a concern here?

R1001.11 Fireplace Clearance​

Wood beams, joists, studs and other combustible material shall have a clearance of not less than 2 inches (51 mm) from the front faces and sides of masonry fireplaces and not less than 4 inches (102 mm) from the back faces of masonry fireplaces.

Airflow to the existing prefab Firebox?

As I understand, blocking or inhibiting airflow to a prefab firebox is a big deal, as it can cause overheating and risk of fire. With my 6" extension, I would be modifying the airflow path, but cannot reason that it would prevent airflow in any substantial way. Is there a concern here?

Thanks all for your feedback! Hoping to thoroughly think and plan through this before beginning to make sure I haven't missed anything important.

Feedback on my plan to refurb my existing wood-burning fireplace? Feedback on my plan to refurb my existing wood-burning fireplace?

If the second picture is your actual fireplace it appears you have a zero clearance pre manufactured fireplace. You need to find the manual for your exact unit. Most do not allow any modifications of the unit it self. There is usually an identification plate some where, look around the frame. Once you ID the unit and get the manual you will know more.

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I am looking forward to discussing with the forum. Please see photos attached below - they provide some context and a visual draft of what I'd like to do.

For context, we use the fireplace once or twice a year. We'd like to refurb it without replacing the entire firebox, as it would be out of our budget. That said, we'd like to make sure it's safe for the few times we use it.

Here's my proposal.

1. Repair firebox interior w/ refractory cement, and paint fire bricks black with a high temp black paint.
  2. Remove lower [fake] louvers on firebox, and fire curtains. Repaint black to clean up fading/chipping paint.
  3. Remove existing builder-grade mantle. Build out new 6" deep structure around existing firebox using steel studs, cement board, and porcelain tile - all noncombustibles.
  4. Tile structure.

Presence of Combustibles near the Fireplace Opening?

I reviewed residential fireplace code (https://up.codes/viewer/texas/irc-2015/chapter/10/chimneys-and-fireplaces#10) and the only relevant rule I could find was R1001.11, which implies that I can place non-combustibles near the fireplace opening. Is there a concern here?

R1001.11 Fireplace Clearance​

Wood beams, joists, studs and other combustible material shall have a clearance of not less than 2 inches (51 mm) from the front faces and sides of masonry fireplaces and not less than 4 inches (102 mm) from the back faces of masonry fireplaces.

Airflow to the existing prefab Firebox?

As I understand, blocking or inhibiting airflow to a prefab firebox is a big deal, as it can cause overheating and risk of fire. With my 6" extension, I would be modifying the airflow path, but cannot reason that it would prevent airflow in any substantial way. Is there a concern here?

Thanks all for your feedback! Hoping to thoroughly think and plan through this before beginning to make sure I haven't missed anything important.

View attachment 329605 View attachment 329606
Exactly what EbS said find out what make and model it is and follow the manual. The codes you have listed have absolutely no bearing on a fireplace like yours. And I can pretty much guarantee you cannot cover the bottom louvers.