fan in a stove alcove wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi again
I just realized I was not really clear enough with the single wall question. I was looking at a bunch of selkirk stuff earlier and it seems like the kit they sell (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009STHVG/?tag=hearthamazon-20) is made fr the single wall to go up to the attic connector piece, which is also shown in the rockford video. I think this kit probably makes sense but don't know if it is available for steeper roofs.

Thanks again

Rob
Hi
I put off the project for a few months after having some problems with a contractor. I have now decided to do it myself. I have started framing with steel studs and putting up the durock. I will then have a 1 or 1.5" air gap for the convection wall and then another layer of durock and tiles. The convection wall will have the required gaps at bottom and top. I have a few questions. First is does the outside layer of durock need to have seems sealed with some type of fireproof caulking and a seem tape? Second, I will be taking out the wood framing in the front as well (above where I want to put the mantel) and will be reframing that in steel. I would like to have a solid fir mantel in the front and one thing I am thinking is to use a piece of 6" c channel which would be framed in like a header and which would have either through bolts or welded on bolts which would match up to drilled holes in an old growth douglas fir 4x6. Would this work if I were to put one layer of durock between the c channel and the fir and must I worry about heat transfer from the bolts igniting the mantel? I was thinking of having it at about 6' high. Also have people used hat channel to fur out their convection walls?

Thanks

Rob