Faint propane smell coming from Superior fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Those are some great tips, thanks. I decided to fire it up again last night without cleaning anything and it stayed lit all night with no issues. The flame on the main burner was consistent too, no flickering. I really believe my problems with the flame are due to a draft coming in the vent, maybe when the wind is blowing a certain direction. You ever hear of that being an issue? Either way, at least its working now and I don't smell propane anymore.

I'll leave it alone for now and if it starts acting up again, I'll clean the orifice.

When I first light it, I'm getting a nice blue flame from the pilot burner.. but it starts to flicker a little and occasionally lose contact with the thermocouple and thermopile.

A pilot or main burner flame that lifts off the burner is a common feature of flames that lack sufficient combustion air to burn properly. Look and think carefully to decide if you think this might be a problem

Reactions: thisisnotagoodname
I had it running last night too with no issues. I did notice the flame lift off the burner when I posted those pictures but its been fine now for two nights, so who knows. Maybe it was a draft causing my issues. Anyways, I have a carbon monoxide detector in the same room as the fireplace to be on the safe side.

A lifting flame needs to be corrected, if it's actually happening. Lifting flames are caused by a shortage of combustion air, which impairs combustion and often results in a change in color of the flame to a deeper blue.

If bad enough, the flames become thready and can become snuffed out altogether.

So keep an eye on that to see if it's actually happening.

Reactions: thisisnotagoodname
From the picture and the description of the symptoms, it looks like a shortage of combustion air is developing.

When that occurs, you might try opening a window to see if the thready flame goes away. There are several possible causes of that kind of problem.