Experience with sooteater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I normally tie a clear plastic trash bag at the opening of the clean-out, then poke a hole near the top of the opening to insert my pole; then open it again to attach my brush or the whip then secure it again. You can of course change the sequence around. During cleaning, all the soot starts to fall inside the trash bag which is contained during removal. I wipe my poles one at a time as they are being pulled out the chimney, remove the bag, clean the cleanout-cap inside the bag, replace then close the bag. Rarely do I need to vac or do additional clean up after that.

Hope this was an helpful

I love mine, I have 25' of Excel class A double wall insulated. I have (2) 45's on a short section, that I'm going to remove this year and clean outside. Last year the Soot Eater made it through the (2) 45's OK, but it's beating the heck out of my fiberglass rods, so I'm going to do them separately. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips for keeping the dust contained, while I'm cleaning the tall chimney?

I found a 1 gallon Rubbermaid pitcher was a perfect fit to my stovepipe, so I just drilled a hole in the bottom of the pitcher, and I feed the rods up thru that. I tape it onto the bottom of the stovepipe with one rod and whip head per-inserted, if I’m doing a cleaning with the pipe off the stove.

That said, I don’t even bother removing the pipe anymore. Far easier to sweep thru the bypass door, even if it chews the rods up a bit. I can’t imagine I’ll ever wear thru them, but if I do, replacements are cheap enough.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
The unsupported bottom edge of that extremely thin inner layer can get snagged by the brush when pulling up. Retailers say lots of stuff to up sell stuff. Allot of it is bs. If you want smoothwall get heavy wall or midweight stuff

Good Morning Bholler, what is your experience with sooteater rotary chimney cleaner? since you have experience with chimney sweeps, wondered if you have used them and seen any negative side to it. I just ordered one since I heard all positive reports on them but there might be a down-side which I may not be aware of. What's your experience with these?

Good Morning Bholler, what is your experience with sooteater rotary chimney cleaner? since you have experience with chimney sweeps, wondered if you have used them and seen any negative side to it. I just ordered one since I heard all positive reports on them but there might be a down-side which I may not be aware of. What's your experience with these?
I have never used the door eater but I use a pro version every day. I hardly ever use a brush any more.

What drill do you use, bholler? I find my 30 feet of pipe is enough to sometimes overheat the battery on my 18V Bosch cordless drill with the soot eater. I seem to forget that sometimes, and grab the cordless, only to be reminded of it when it overheats and stops turning. Then I have to run out the detached shop for one of the corded units, cursing the whole way there and back.

What drill do you use, bholler? I find my 30 feet of pipe is enough to sometimes overheat the battery on my 18V Bosch cordless drill with the soot eater. I seem to forget that sometimes, and grab the cordless, only to be reminded of it when it overheats and stops turning. Then I have to run out the detached shop for one of the corded units, cursing the whole way there and back.
1/2" corded drill usually. Occasionally I will use an m18 cordless but it's hard on them

What is the pro version of the sooteater Bholler? I did not know they had a pro version.....
It isn't made by sooteater. There are several different manufacturers of pro stuff. Perkins snaplock rod station and others I am sure

Bholler, I was looking at one called Hansa..the head whip seem much thicker and stronger compared to the Sooteater which seem thin....but glad to know there are other options to consider that may do even a better cleaning.....not sure if shorter will do a better cleaning compared to when its long or original size. Do you cut yours to size or it is better to keep it long?

Bholler, I was looking at one called Hansa..the head whip seem much thicker and stronger compared to the Sooteater which seem thin....but glad to know there are other options to consider that may do even a better cleaning.....not sure if shorter will do a better cleaning compared to when its long or original size. Do you cut yours to size or it is better to keep it long?
It's not that mine cleans any better. It is about durability. I clean more in most weeks than a homeowner will in a lifetime. The sooteater rods just wouldn't hold up to that. That is not a flaw with the spot eater it's just that they are made for homeowner use. And priced accordingly. I also have allot of different heads for different things.

As far as trimming the line no I don't. Not because it cleans better just so I don't have to change them every day and I can use them on different sizes

Reactions: rtrev37
It's not that mine cleans any better. It is about durability. I clean more in most weeks than a homeowner will in a lifetime. The sooteater rods just wouldn't hold up to that. That is not a flaw with the spot eater it's just that they are made for homeowner use. And priced accordingly. I also have allot of different heads for different things.

As far as trimming the line no I don't. Not because it cleans better just so I don't have to change them every day and I can use them on different sizes

Thanks for the info and clarification, Sure glad for this site along with your knowledge, along with everyone else's experience, sure helps.

Reactions: Ashful