Exhaust Fan problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BignFat

Hearth Supporter
Nov 17, 2008
Everett, WA
I have a Lopi Yankee free standing. Normal operation for 4 years. Problem is now, the exhaust fan stays constant at low speed. Usually at start-up, the exhaust fan is at full speed. The auger seems to operate correctly when adjusting the heat control knob, but the exhaust fan always stays at low speed. Gaskets all appear to be good, and the stove has gotten a thourough cleaning, including removeing the fan. The flow switch appeard clogged, but looking at how the stove works, I'd guess that the "Flow Switch" function is to turn the auger off if the flow control does sense a negative pressure in the exhaust box?
Anyways, I'm thinking it is OK to bench test the fan motor with 115V power source. If it checks out, then it is probably the Control Panel?
and I also read here that I can't buy parts for Travis online, but can delaership sell me a part if I call them on the phone?

Thanks,
Mike

BignFat said:
I have a Lopi Yankee free standing. Normal operation for 4 years. Problem is now, the exhaust fan stays constant at low speed. Usually at start-up, the exhaust fan is at full speed. The auger seems to operate correctly when adjusting the heat control knob, but the exhaust fan always stays at low speed. Gaskets all appear to be good, and the stove has gotten a thourough cleaning, including removeing the fan. The flow switch appeard clogged, but looking at how the stove works, I'd guess that the "Flow Switch" function is to turn the auger off if the flow control does sense a negative pressure in the exhaust box?
Anyways, I'm thinking it is OK to bench test the fan motor with 115V power source. If it checks out, then it is probably the Control Panel?
and I also read here that I can't buy parts for Travis online, but can delaership sell me a part if I call them on the phone?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. I have an '05 Astoria Bay, which is basically the same stove as yours. While I'm not 100% sure, from what I've read I think the flow switch DOES control when the fan speeds up and slows down....it sends a signal to the control board for that to happen. When you removed the combustion fan, did you check to see that it will run at full speed by running 110 v directly to it?

A great person on this forum to ask would be Rod....he's a moderator on here, and goes by "Hearthtools" ( www.hearthtools.com ) They sell and service Travis Stoves in Ca. You could shoot him a PM.

As for buying parts, your local dealer is the place where you'll have to get parts.....Travis doesn't allow online sales anymore.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.