Espresso machine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Here's a little review on the Sette 270:

The other one I've been looking at is the Rancilio Rocky... maybe the most popular flat burr for home. But reviews are mixed... not all good.

View attachment 245966

Looked at all the reviews. For days and hours. Decided to go with the Sette 30, seems to pair excellent with the Classic.

My set up is downstairs in my "office", as I am the only one in the house drinking coffee. So countertop issues in our "modern" European interior are not existent.

Let me know how you like it, when you get a few doses thru it!

One huge advantage of the Sette, even over much more expensive machines like the Vario, is the super low grounds retention. That’s huge for a weekend user like me, not having to clean it out, or having stale grinds in there for a week.

One huge advantage of the Sette, even over much more expensive machines like the Vario, is the super low grounds retention. That’s huge for a weekend user like me, not having to clean it out, or having stale grinds in there for a week.
Absolutely, the short distance the grinds take makes a huge difference. Also, for cleaning, it is very easy to remove the lower burr and there is nothing else there. The horizontal motor shaft is a huge improvement compared to other grinders, specially for cleaning. I can't hardly wait till it's here. I will make some pictures of shots I made and even post a short video, if I can find out how to do that (I am of the typewriter and telex generation).

Looks like a good way to save $50, but do note there is more than a micro-adjust separating these two grinders:

Sette 30:
30 coarse settings, no micro adjust
Plastic burr casing with some static-cling issues
One programmable grind setting
Plastic portafilter holder
Non-adjustable forks, they must be removed and reversed when changing from portafilter to brew bin or to set for different portafilter diameters

Sette 270:
270 settings (30 coarse x 9 fine)
Metal burr casing, more durable and resolves static cling issues
Three programmable grind settings
Metal portafilter forks, which can be adjusted without removal

Most of these things probably won’t matter to you, you’re only doing espresso, probably always doing the same 17g double shot grind. So one programmable setting, and the non-adjustable forks are probably a non-issue. We will have to see how the plastic burr casing works for you after a few years, I am not sure how seriously to take some of the reviews that complain about this.

But the coarse/fine settings issue is an absolute problem, I think. In fact, this has been an issue with my Virtuoso with stepped settings. I often find one setting is too fast and the other too slow in my unpressurized portafilter. By the time I upgrade a 30 with the micro rig, I’m within less than $50 of just buying the 270 with the other upgrades. Since I might want to switch between portafilter and bin (maybe ditch the Virtuoso down the road), the adjustable forks and three programs would be where I’d want to go. I guess that’s why they make so many options!

My only issue with this series is the stupid profile. It looks like it must stick damn near a foot out from the wall, and I really just prefer the vertically-oriented grinders, and the counterspace they conserve. There’s no reason they couldn’t have built the same spinning outer burr with a vertical motor behind the portafilter holder, but they want to be stylish Europeans, so they made this stupid looking “Sette” (7 in Italian) profile. I guess I’m just too traditional.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Looks like a good way to save $50, but do note there is more than a micro-adjust separating these two grinders:

Sette 30:
30 coarse settings, no micro adjust
Plastic burr casing with some static-cling issues
One programmable grind setting
Plastic portafilter holder
Non-adjustable forks, they must be removed and reversed when changing from portafilter to brew bin or to set for different portafilter diameters

Sette 270:
270 settings (30 coarse x 9 fine)
Metal burr casing, more durable and resolves static cling issues
Three programmable grind settings
Metal portafilter forks, which can be adjusted without removal

Most of these things probably won’t matter to you, you’re only doing espresso, probably always doing the same 17g double shot grind. So one programmable setting, and the non-adjustable forks are probably a non-issue. We will have to see how the plastic burr casing works for you after a few years, I am not sure how seriously to take some of the reviews that complain about this.

But the coarse/fine settings issue is an absolute problem, I think. In fact, this has been an issue with my Virtuoso with stepped settings. I often find one setting is too fast and the other too slow in my unpressurized portafilter. By the time I upgrade a 30 with the micro rig, I’m within less than $50 of just buying the 270 with the other upgrades. Since I might want to switch between portafilter and bin (maybe ditch the Virtuoso down the road), the adjustable forks and three programs would be where I’d want to go. I guess that’s why they make so many options!

My only issue with this series is the stupid profile. It looks like it must stick damn near a foot out from the wall, and I really just prefer the vertically-oriented grinders, and the counterspace they conserve. There’s no reason they couldn’t have built the same spinning outer burr with a vertical motor behind the portafilter holder, but they want to be stylish Europeans, so they made this stupid looking “Sette” (7 in Italian) profile. I guess I’m just too traditional.
I bought a refurbished 30 for $179. With the $90 for the ring, I am still $130 below a 270 with program features I do not need. I only drink espresso, so all the other grind settings are wasted on me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
Very nice, looks like it is designed and engineered in Seattle, WA. Our old Braun coffee grinder is of similar design, (straight-thru, vertical transport, but with flat burrs), in a simpler more compact package.

I bought a refurbished 30 for $179. With the $90 for the ring, I am still $130 below a 270 with program features I do not need. I only drink espresso, so all the other grind settings are wasted on me.

Definitely. If only doing one shot size, no switching from portafilter, and with the micro upgrade pricing, it becomes harder to justify the 270. Out situations are different, there.

The only thing I might want to do is buying a bottomless portafilter. Time will tell.

Never looked into those, in fact I need to go watch some videos on them this week, and learn what they are. I have only ever used the standard dual spout unpressurized portafilters.

Exactly as I had pictured it in my mind. :)

I assume the primary advantage is for those doing straight shots, and wanting a higher ratio of crema?

I enjoy a straight espresso on occasion, but more often I'm doing a macchiato (for me) or latte (for my wife). A macchiato is just a straight espresso double shot in a 2.5 or 3 oz. expresso cup, topped up with just a bit (0.5 to 1.0 oz.) of steamed milk. It gives the straight shot just the right amount of sweetness, for me, but it means I'm messing with the crema and switching my single-boiler machine over to steam mode.

Here’s something I don’t get. The Vario is a pro-grade ceramic flat burr grinder, the second most expensive model in their entire catalog. It comes with a portafilter holder, yet Baratza ranks the much less expensive prosumer-grade steel conical burr Sette as better for espresso. Then comparing the Vario to the Forte, I’m beginning to think this is just marketing BS, Baratza trying to create some false separation of their Sette line, to help them stay in the consumer pricing game. Check this out:

fb9aef1e90c92ff7f7b44ed7c0098664.jpg

The pass-thru burr with ultra-low grinds retention is the only plausible advantage of the Sette 270 over the Vario, so you would say maybe that could be the distinction. But then the manufacturer ranks their Forte at 5 stars, and it’s exactly the same tech as the Vario. It just doesn’t add up, when comparing the two to the Sette.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s something I don’t get. The Vario is a pro-grade ceramic flat burr grinder, the second most expensive model in their entire catalog. It comes with a portafilter holder, yet Baratza ranks the much less expensive prosumer-grade steel conical burr Sette as better for espresso. Then comparing the Vario to the Forte, I’m beginning to think this is just marketing BS, Baratza trying to create some false separation of their Sette line, to help them stay in the consumer pricing game. Check this out:

View attachment 245994

The pass-thru burr with ultra-low grinds retention is the only plausible advantage of the Sette 270 over the Vario, so you would say maybe that could be the distinction. But then the manufacturer ranks their Forte at 5 stars, and it’s exactly the same tech as the Vario. It just doesn’t add up, when comparing the two to the Sette.
Yes, I have seen that too. Weird.

Makes my giant Costco jar of Folgers instant coffee granules at the office seem childish! I use a metal spoon!

Makes my giant Costco jar of Folgers instant coffee granules at the office seem childish! I use a metal spoon!
LOL. Do you eat them right off the spoon? j/k

Yes, I have seen that too. Weird.

I wonder if the portafilter holder on the Vario doesn’t work as well, or something like that, to justify the rating. Small stuff can matter, when you’re using it every day for two decades.

Otherwise, I’m going to just chalk it up to their marketing folks wanting to create some market distinction for the Sette products.

Exactly as I had pictured it in my mind. :)

I assume the primary advantage is for those doing straight shots, and wanting a higher ratio of crema?

I enjoy a straight espresso on occasion, but more often I'm doing a macchiato (for me) or latte (for my wife). A macchiato is just a straight espresso double shot in a 2.5 or 3 oz. expresso cup, topped up with just a bit (0.5 to 1.0 oz.) of steamed milk. It gives the straight shot just the right amount of sweetness, for me, but it means I'm messing with the crema and switching my single-boiler machine over to steam mode.
Most use the bottomless filter for troubleshooting and dialing in their shots.

My only complaint with the Rocky is the teaspoon of grounds retained just above the spout.