Enviro Meridian - how to replace glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

O_Pellet

Jul 31, 2019
BC
I have a Enviro Meridian pellet stove installed in 2005 and the rope gasket around the glass has become worn at the edges. It looks as though the only option is to replace the glass entirely with part EF-062.

How would I remove the door and replace the glass? Most of the screws are rusted on tight and one of them just broke off when I went to remove it.
fireplace1.jpg

fireplace2.jpg

The door should lift off the short hinge pins on the left side.
Lay it flat on a protected surface & spray all the glass retainer
screws with penetrating oil, like PBlaster & let it soak in.
Get yourself a hammer-type impact driver & carefully loosen the screws.
If they're STILL tight, spray them again.
Any screws you break will need to be drilled out with the correct sized drill bit,
& the threads repaired with the appropriately sized tap.

I wonder if it pays to use stainless screws.I have to disassemble a door from a brand new Englander SHSS 2400SF stove with only about a dozen fires as the gasket is already falling out. The screws are already rusted and tight.

Use anti-seize compound on the threads when you install screws in woodstoves.
You will be glad you did, no matter WHAT the screw material is.

Thanks for the advice, I've got all the screws out except one with the penetrating oil. Been drilling out the last one since I don't have an impact driver.

I got the glass out! The glass isn't damaged I'm wondering if I can replace the rope/tape around the glass? I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to source this glass tape. I can order a new glass with the tape attached but it would cost $500.

fireplace5.jpg

Check your local hearth shop or hardware store & ask for "Tape Gasket." There are different widths, so bring a piece of the old gasket with you.

Hello
Some local glass shops can cut a piece of high temp Neo Ceram glass the size you need and it maybe a lot cheaper if you want nice new stuff! I like the high temp mirror neo ceram glass but that is hard to get!
Here is a pic of the mirror stuff on my baby countryside.
The drill driver is on the floor in front of it. :)

Attachments

• E4EA0BB3-6987-4B40-88A6-D69480F6BB53.png
    E4EA0BB3-6987-4B40-88A6-D69480F6BB53.png
    587 KB · Views: 219
Reactions: tbear853
Good to know, thanks. I replaced the tape gasket but may need to get some new glass in the future, I'll definitely keep that in mind

Tape holds it in push from the outside

Couple suggestions besides PBlaster. Use copper Never Seize not the silver stuff and you can get a hand impact driver at Harbor Freight for less than 10 bucks every day.

Nickel Never Sieze is good too for highest temperatures.

I like that high temp Neo Ceram glass idea, but do you see a nice fire too?

This things a nightmare. There’s three pieces of glass held together with a flat gasket folded over on both sides and glued to the glass. Then there’s two pieces of channel between the two outside smaller pieces so it looks like a bay. Then there’s a frame all the way around that with the door gasket glued to it. Then there’s a frame that slides through the front that the bolts go through the intire mess and 10 9 mm nuts holding it all in place. Who uses 9mm? Not 3/8ths or 9/16ths that I have drivers for.

Makes me glad I have a flat view glass... I've replaced the gasket before, no where as bad as yours. :Like the mirror glass though

Built in a metric country
Welcome to my world
Canada EH
Better get used to it whole world metric except USA and a few others
Probably China...lol The door and glass on my 'American built stove' was made in China, it's 'proudly' stamped in the casting on the inside. Understandable. The Federal EPA about put domestic casting houses out of business with suffocating rules.

Made in China shouldn't oughta make a difference; the specifications usually come from the manufacturer, and it would depend on what the engineers wanted. I used to work in a lighting factory, and it was interesting that similar fixtures would call for either metric or U.S. hardware, depending on whether they were designed in the U.S. or one of the other subsidiaries.